Wolves (A) Post Match Thread

But we don't get extra points for hitting the bar do we, one a worldy from Raheem.

If people want to split hairs, Ederson makes a save into the side netting when the lad is four yards out.

Wolves have a goal correctly ruled for offside when Vinny has another brain fart.

And if it wasn't for Vinny in the dying minutes, the lad at the back post has a simple tap in.

Our team was strung out from back to front far too many times resembling Pep's first season.

Gundogan isn't good enough for what we need him to play, nowhere near, but that's just my own personal view.

West Ham should have been four up yesterday at Arsenal before they imploded.

All teams can point to their own chances, but we gave Wolves far too many looks yesterday when the ball broke down as we reached the final third.

The same looks which sees better teams such as Liverpool make the most of three looks in transition against us before half time?
I'm not saying we played well, I'm saying that based on their handball goal we should have won 1-0 and based on the number and quality of chances we were better than Wolves and could have won two or three nil.
I accept that being "better than Wolves" is way below the standards we should be aiming for but that's not the point here, we were good enough to beat them (which is where I disagreed with the previous poster). We didn't because of the circumstances I've just outlined.

Don’t like Bernardo on the wing away from home, just too slow and predictable. He needs to play in the middle imo.

Our biggest miss yesterday was KDB. He picks the ball up near the half way line and runs with the ball attracting opposition players like flies before he either passes it to another city player in space or shoots. We only have one other player who can do that and that is Foden. He wasn't even on the bench yesterday. He needs to be at least on the bench.

Our AMs need to be sorted out without KDB. As I see it we have the following choices: Bernardo/Foden/Silva/Mahrez with Gundogan as another option.

Our biggest miss yesterday was KDB. He picks the ball up near the half way line and runs with the ball attracting opposition players like flies before he either passes it to another city player in space or shoots. We only have one other player who can do that and that is Foden. He wasn't even on the bench yesterday. He needs to be.
Probably just me but i don't think foden has the pace or strength to occupy that area of the field yet. He might well though as he gets older. But right now he appears to be better off operating 10-15 yards up the field. Even with Dr Bruyne playing attracting their players towards the ball was always going to be difficult as wolves sat very deep and were disciplined and clearly were told to maintain their rigid shape no matter what. Poor control through the middle and on the flanks appeared to be are Achilles heal, along with poor luck.

Thought Mendy was poor yesterday. Yes he is a different threat going forward but doesn't look great defensively.

Also Gundogan just doesn't cut it for me. He doesn't see the first time ball/pass and hasn't got the close control of Silva.

Fernandinho spent large parts of the game running back towards his own goal due to us constantly losing the ball in key areas.

On another day we cruise this game 3/4 - 1. Last season we drew our second game and went on a crazy win run.

If Mendy continues to stick a token leg out he will not only concede a few penalties this season, but will also likely suffer another cruciate knee injury.

He's either tackling from the wrong side, standing square on or retreating back towards his own penalty area.

One weakness has been particularly exposed in a couple of our games so far against Arsenal and Wolves.

Mendy has been unaware of a player behind him on a flighted angle ball and both Bellerin and the lad yesterday, were able to bring the ball down and take him with ease before getting a shot off inside the penalty area.

Another area of major concern for me is that while I love Bernardo, he's taking a proper attacker out of the side with flank pace, which seems to expose Walker even more.

Again, Mendy on the other side is taking Sane or Mahrez out of the starting eleven.

Pep said this new formation is bringing rewards because we are creating more chances against teams behind the ball, but we always found a way last season, nine times out of ten.

This present set-up takes attacking pace out of the team in the boxes and there is less of a fear factor for our opponents when they see Sane and Sterling are not playing from the start.

Let's get back to what made us so successful, Pep can overthink things at times, case in point being Liverpool away in Champions League last year?

Personally, would like to see Mahrez moved into the number ten, with Sane and Sterling either side of Sergio, with Dave sitting deeper alongside Fern.

Means nothing now, obviously, but Mahrez needs to grow a pair to find his place on this team.

It must be difficult, but I would have told Sergio to piss off over that last minute free-kick.

Aguero might have hit the bar but outside of KDB, 20 yards from goal, there is nobody better in this league than Mahrez from free-kicks.
fully agree with all of that.

For his attacking talent, Mendy is a weak link defensively...play him against the likes of Liverpool and he will get torn apart and exploited time after time. The same with Gundogan. It isn't about scapegoating people, its about pointing out obvious weaknesses in the team and those 2 are it. Mendy will have the games he can play in......but against better teams he cannot play as a 3 or we play with him in a 4 and sane infant of him so he doesn't have to attack so much (sort of happened at the end of the game yesterday a bit).

Wolves fan here - hope you don't mind me commenting on yesterday's game.

Thought it was highly entertaining and gripping - from our perspective, City were just wonderful the way they played the ball around, but I thought we defended and martialled City superbly. Of course we had lady luck on our side, the Wolves goal was marginal in terms of being offside though obviously VAR would have picked up that it was handball, though entirely unintentional. Wolves did create several good chances though, which is admirable against City. City were very unlucky with the woodwork, Sterling's effort was brilliant and miraculously saved by Patricio. Aguero's first shot against the post was also pure class but I felt his last minute free-kick though excellent was always just too high. Regards the penalties, I honestly don't think either were though of course we have all have seen them routinely given in those situations. You risk a penalty for the merest touch against such quality players as Aguero and Silva, though Silva was I thought playing for it by kicking his own heels, and Aguero dived in my opinion.

So yes I can fully understand City fans being totally pissed off, you should have won but purely from our perspective we fully earned a point against one of the best teams in the world, and that was a massive achievement for a club who has spent just 4 seasons in the last 37 years in the top flight. We are really progressing and what is happening to us is a dream. Forgive us for the small time celebrations yesterday, but it is just so exciting for us at present.

Anyway, I am absolutely confident you will win the league, though Liverpool might push you hard. Its great to see Manure struggle with Mourinho (well suited to each other).

I thought our biggest culprit of sloppy passing was Walker. How many times is he going to choose the wrong option and let
the opponents straight onto our back 3, because even he isn't that quick to cover.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.