Var debate 2019/20

The commentators and journalists have not read the rule.

The rule says

It is an offence if a player:

• gains possession/control of the ball after it has touched their hand/arm and then:
    • scores in the opponents’ goal
    • creates a goal-scoring opportunity

AND THEN

Laporte does not and then anything. It inadvertently flicks off his arm which leads to controlled possession by another player.

This is about interpretation. It's not black and white at all. I think the rule was set up to stop a situation where the ball directly goes in off a players arm, or when it srikes an arm, and a player makes a conscious assist.

The VAR decision was harsh or wrong application of the handball rule.
To refine what you said, there's another interpretation which is if the ball hits the players hand, which controls it enough for him to score, or assist a direct goal scoring opportunity, OR the ball deflects off the hand/arm scoring a goal or assisting the scoring player, the goal should be disallowed.

However, all of this is open to ridiculous interpretation, namely phases. If the deflects off an arm & results in a goal, or deflects off an arm into the path of a team mate to score, I'd swallow that. The deflection from Laporte may have gone to Jesus, but look at the world class control needed, & how many players he had pass & avoid to score?

In my opinion, Jesus wasn't presented with a clear opportunity to score, he made that goal all by himself. Also, would the ball have deviated any further if it didn't touch Laporte's arm?

In terms of 'phases'; when did the crossing phase end? When the ball came to Jesus, or when he had an attempt? For instance, let's say the attempt by Jesus had struck the post, been controlled by Mahrez, passed back to Jesus who then scored. Where do the.phases begin & end?

Apparently Stockley House tried to explain this one to PL Clubs in the summer. By all accounts those in attendance were as baffled with this ruling when they left, as they were when they left, because so much was open to human interpretation.

I firmly support VAR, but I'm now of the view it should only be used for clear & obvious errors, & not to determine the length of a players' armpit hair. If there is no way a human could tell in real time, the benefit of the doubt should be given, instead of using lines at 50 fps on blurry TV images.

If a referee has clearly missed an offside or a handball, then VAR should assist. If only the use if VAR using AI & the law of averages can spot an infringement, then again the benefit of the doubt should go to the limit of what a human could reasonably be expected to spot.

VAR is now separating top flight football, from the rest of the global game, which is worrying. Offsides, should be clear & obvious. Handballs in the area should be for deflected goals, or a deflected ball leading directly to a goal. There wasn't enough of a deviation from Laporte arm which made the handball easy to spot in real time, & Jesus had too much to do to have directly benefitted from the slightest of touches.

What VAR should have done was shown if there was there a goal scoring advantage because of the handball, or would Jesus have scored without the touch by Laporte anyway. I believe the outcome would have been the same. In a reasonable world, the goal should have stood.

Last edited:
So VAR was "right" using the current laws.

It was "right" for the handball yesterday too.

The only one it hasn't been "right" on was the subjective penalty call yesterday. This will probably open the door for VAR to overturn decisions more in the long run.
Really, I’ve been searching all morning and even slowed the match replays down as much as possible and still can’t see conclusive proof Laporte handles that ball yesterday.

Can you show me one single frame that shows the ball hits Laporte’s hand? You’re so adamant it’s “RIGHT” that you’ve clearly seen something 50,000 fans, Sky pundits and the media haven’t seen, so please feel free to elaborate and show us all.

Is there any other sport other than football where the spectators in the ground are not permitted to view the evidence as the decision is being made ? Tennis, cricket, rugby, NFL...the crowd can view the evidence during the process whereby the decision is arrived at. That football hasn't insisted on this is ludicrous and frankly an insult to the paying fan (both home and away).

Dippers 6 goals no VAR reviews
RAgs 4 goals no VAR review

Us 2 games 9 goals 3VAR reviews 2 goals chalked off

Raz mm's at best
Did it hit his hand? pep watched it back,sky analyis,neither could say for sure if it hit his hand

Stonewall pen against rodders,neville said the VAR ref should have been stronger and given it,on Salah at anfield that would be a pen

It's clear we are getting extra special attention,enjoy the next 36 games,just don't celebrate or expect to win the title
This is the problem in a nutshell. Super post!

The VAR has stuck to the letter of the law. The letter of the law on the other hand ...
You’ll have to show me the letter of the law that stipulates some cúnt can grab someone round the throat and wrestle them to the ground (not taking into account the different set of rules for Liverpool and United defenders).

The raz offside last week was them showing off the tech and the fancy lines,watch what we can do,right down to the mm,fucking practising on us,good job we are 2 points down already

Well this is going to be fun, isn't it. Not! I await the 2 scenarios that will confirm what many of us suspect. The first will be when an almost identical situation to yesterday occurs for an opposing team against us. The second is when the same thing happens when it's the dips or scum being reviewed.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.