Pep Guardiola - 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
When he brought Mahrez on ahead of Foden and Bernardo that was the final kick in the balls.
What would Bernardo have done? One goal against united and nothing else of note all season. I agree Foden should have come on, but Mahrez is probably the most likely to make something happen.

mahrez was our best player when he came on ?

Christ. According to who? Although Jesus, Sterling and KDB were all better when the system changed. But the Mahrez conundrum does continue - even when he personally looks good the team is much better when we have workrate from the front. We were crying out for Foden or Bernardo but both were reduced to cheerleading.

What would Bernardo have done? One goal against united and nothing else of note all season. I agree Foden should have come on, but Mahrez is probably the most likely to make something happen.
Give us the thing we lack - legs, energy, workrate, pace. If you judge Bernardo just on his goals or assists you’re missing his main attributes. If we play Rodri/Fernandinho/Garcia/Gundo in the middle spine we can’t afford players like Mahrez in front of them.

It was all played out in front of us. It doesn’t take a genius to work out what the difference was between last night and 8 days previously.

He needs to sort the midfield out next season. The one area of the pitch I wouldn't have thought we'd have to worry about but he's been getting it wrong pretty consistently this season. That's his bread and butter and he's not making it work.

Christ. According to who? Although Jesus, Sterling and KDB were all better when the system changed. But the Mahrez conundrum does continue - even when he personally looks good the team is much better when we have workrate from the front. We were crying out for Foden or Bernardo but both were reduced to cheerleading.

bernando been trash all year and we need some trickery not Energy

The desire from Pep isn’t there anymore this is why he said his 4th year in Barca was a mistake, his intense management style burns his desire and the teams desire out after around 3 seasons and that’s his shelf life. There is no doubting how great the football has been we have played under him but if he was to walk away tomorrow his time here would be deemed a failure unfortunately. Yes he’s won 2 league titles in amazing fashion but he’s been given the funds to achieve that as a minimum and obviously the domestic cups are a nice bonus too but the main thing he was brought in for was the Champs league and he has failed worse than I could ever of imagined.

The scary thought is that every single City fan looked at that team when it come out last night and knew we was in trouble from the get go every single city fan but pep? Do you think Bayern Munich would have changed their style and whole formation that they haven’t played all season to ‘adapt’ to Lyon? Would they fuck they’d play their way and say deal with this and make them change their set up to deal with Bayern. Lyon was already mentally 1 up when they will have seen he changed our full way of playing before a ball was kicked.

Pep has his loyal fan club and rightly so (I’ve never really been in it) just can’t warm to him as a person more than the football side he’s dug the fans out a few times in his time here about attendances etc but when his time is done here I understand why the majority will be devastated but there will be a manager out there better suited to us we just need to make sure we get it right!

In a weird way for me it’ll be refreshing when he leaves as for example I want to be signing a centre half because he can defend first and foremost then play well with his feet not the other way round. Peps system for 2/3 years is the best in world football but after that it’s a spent force. He’ll do next season and leave but I’m not expecting anything from it we look shot and uninspired.

Very fair and just points here. Reckon you won’t get much feedback, but I’ll chime in because your post is worth discussing.

Peps an eccentric + stubborn dude. You used the term failure for Pep, it wasn’t your main point, but it’s the one that’s easily targetable.

Go back to 16/17 and then say we’d win three Milk cups, 1 FA, two shields, two leagues, and zero CL semi finals in four years. That’s a bang on 7/10 regarding expectations. Agree with you that this needs to be his last year.

It all comes down to this final season doesn’t it? 3/5 premier league titles and a CL final next year minimum to meet expectations.

But that's the thing! Just based on our performances since after the covid break, how could he NOT feel the system we've been using was good enough to take on Lyon? I really really don't get that.

Agree also any system we play because Pep has his teams ply football in the opposition half and play possession football the same problem would still be there against teams who defend deep double treble up on wing play then hit us on the break.

They say pep overthinks champs league well if he did he would know a giant low block sides why not totally change set up keep full back never over commit and play the opposition at there own game especially when our pace is with the front line.

Peps one of the best managers around .
The players just aren’t good enough to win the champions league !!!

apart from KDB and a fit kun, would any of our players ( bias / blue tinted google aside be considered world class??

I doubt it maybe raz at a push
There's not many players on that lyon team who would even make it into our squad nevermind first eleven. We were destroyed by a former celtic player who came on as a sub.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.