Media Thread - 2021/22

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't get my head around how Dixon thinks, how can anybody who claims to have been a City fan wish defeat on us.
It amounts to treason, how could you turn your back on your club ( I know money talks ) could never have been a proper fan, it's like that prick Conn, why go after your own club, why give the enemy ammunition.
We have few friends in the media so why do so called blues join in, you never see an ex dipper or dipper supporting journalist go after them with all the shit and tricks they've done down the years.
Sunday Express sports writer fired over Liverpool FC opinion piece vows to continue fighting 'gag on freedom of speech' - Press Gazette

https://pressgazette.co.uk/sunday-e...o-continue-fighting-gag-on-freedom-of-speech/

Ok - my point was an over simplification but I clearly remember Taylor recalling in his early years at Watford (I assume when they were still a third or fourth tier club) that he came across a statistical report (the one you mention above) about the number of average number of passes needed to score when measured against the percentage of possession. The conclusion was that the fewer touches in getting the ball nearer the opposition's goal made the probability of scoring higher. In Taylor's words "I thought he [the report's author] is on to something here..." It was the work of Wing Commander Charles Reep who way back in the 1950s had invented a strategy known as Match Analysis.

Hence Taylor adopted hoof ball tactics - bypassing the midfield and then pressing the opposition deep in their own half and soon it began to pay dividends as Watford climbed the leagues and reached Division 1. Honing their tactics and fitness levels to a fine degree they soon finished Division One runners up and reached an FA Cup final. However Taylor was a successful small club and should have been nowhere near the England job. Players like Carlton Palmer and Geoff Thomas were given debuts under his reign. Taylor predated Wimbledon's physical and intimidatory approach and it's no wonder England were simply woeful under his tenure. Jack Charlton employed similar tactics with the ROI but it was football of it's time and that's where it should be left.

I occasionally watch non league football if City aren't playing or on international breaks and seeing teams now playing out from the back is something unthinkable before Pep's influence. I guess it's all about what people think of an entertainment - the Irish journalist would presumably welcome a tardis to take him back to the football he watched in 1985 ? If not, he can always go and watch Burnley in 2022.
As others have said, FA director of coaching Charles Hughes was the main proponent of long ball football in the 70s and 80s. That’s why his disciples like Howe and Taylor got the jobs they did in the England set up and why the likes of Clough never stood a chance

Sunday Express sports writer fired over Liverpool FC opinion piece vows to continue fighting 'gag on freedom of speech' - Press Gazette

https://pressgazette.co.uk/sunday-e...o-continue-fighting-gag-on-freedom-of-speech/
This is an extract from the article you linked to:

A spokesperson for Reach, the new owner of the Express, said in response that freedom of expression for journalists “is not a free pass to publish ill-informed, inaccurate, and misjudged comments”.

Unless of course it’s about City.

As others have said, FA director of coaching Charles Hughes was the main proponent of long ball football in the 70s and 80s. That’s why his disciples like Howe and Taylor got the jobs they did in the England set up and why the likes of Clough never stood a chance
Couldn't recall his name properly. Didn't he invent or promote POMO

And woe betide you if you undertook a coaching badge at that time, I did, and weren't a firm advocate of Hughes's POMO (Position of Maximum Opportunity) philosophy commonly known today as hoofball.

All I remember was after them going 1-0 up Grobbelaar rolling out to Hansen (or any other defender) and them passing it back and him picking it up again. Time wasting at its best in them days
Yep took them 30 years for their ‘legendary boot room’ to win the title after the backpass law was changed

Step forward Charles 'The Winning Formula' Hughes..

The Loughborough University qualified PE teacher, who never played the game at professional levels, influenced English football theory for many years.. and as you say, was encouraged by Millichip to the detriment of the English game for generations.

My, how we used to stand on the terraces at Maine Road and marvel at how the likes of, say, Dennis Tueart and Peter Barnes would occupy those 'Positions Of Maximum Opportunity' and how the other great players of the day would follow Hughes' advice, never making more than three passes before launching the ball forwards as fast and as far up the pitch as they possibly could..

And meanwhile, those pesky Germans and Frenchies and Argies and Brazilians and Spaniards were wasting their time teaching their players and kids how to kill the ball, retain possession and other useless tactical gubbins like that, as well as increasing their fitness levels while reducing their booze'n'fags intake.. What did they know about anything?!

Proper football, that was in England then! Not like this boring stuff we get served up at The Etihad every other week nowadays..!

And this is the guy who Charles Hughes learned from:

A right pair of Charlies!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.