Assessment of our business this summer | Poll Added

Go on then, rate our transfer business out of 10?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Struggle to see much beyond a 6, or possibly 7. Anything above that would suggest a good and strengthening window, which it hasn’t been. It’s been par.
We have reduced our squad size which I find quite remarkable - we really have to rely on few injuries again.

We’ve lost 26 goals in Gundo and Mahrez, and no one that has come in is an obvious nor immediate replacement for those. Gundo a real clutch player as well which can’t be overlooked. Both experienced winners.
Kova looks brilliant and has slotted in seamlessly, but seems to offer little in a final attacking play sense - certainly goals.

Doku is an exciting buy, but unproven, so we really can’t say.

Gvardiol is the obvious improvement, albeit in the area we were probably strongest anyway.

Nunes is a decent player, and should help provide some more cover for Rodri.

Palmer wasn’t a regular option for us, but was an option used a little in Carabao last season, and early doors in cups this season, so we have lost a rotation option there.

So, overall with the outs being: Gundo, Mahrez, Laporte, Palmer….at a push Cancelo given we started last season with him.

Ins: Gvardiol, Doku, Nunes, Kovacic.

It’s nothing more than an average window, in my opinion. It’s fine, but nothing special. Then again, if Doku skins Fulham and bags a couple then I may be saying different…!

Cancelo is not gone..... There is not even the option to buy so this time next year we will be going through this whole process.
With regards depth I agree with you we aren't very deep, but depth is only a thing if the manager trusts the player to play, for some reason... and Pep sees the guy every day he really doesn't fancy Phillips and that's not a dig at Pep, maybe he will turn things around personally, but right now I don't see Pep turning to him when he needs a player off the bench, let alone starting.
But for the purposes of this debate about wages Cancelo is gone.

And lack of depth means we don’t waste wages

Look at other clubs bigger squads not got rid of the deadwood

Look at United deadline day bring in a left back due to two injuries makes sense but when those two return they have 3 left backs mean they have one more than they need

Kind of shocked so many people are overwhelmingly positive towards the window, we didn't permanently move on a number of players that are clearly not going to play, the Laporte fee was really disappointing and not being able to get a move for Cancelo with even an option to buy truly sucks and pretty much locks him into the club until 2027.

Options to buy suit only the club getting a player, they put a maximum amount they have to pay and are under no obligation to pay it.
We do not know the terms of the loan but no option to buy does us no harm at all.

Struggle to see much beyond a 6, or possibly 7. Anything above that would suggest a good and strengthening window, which it hasn’t been. It’s been par.
We have reduced our squad size which I find quite remarkable - we really have to rely on few injuries again.
We haven't reduced the squad size! It's exactly the same as we ended last season.

Laporte, Gundagon, Mahrez and Palmer have all left and we've signed 4 players to replace them.

Only Gundagon started games during the run in, the rest were bench players. Mahrez played a fair amount of games but Laporte and especially Palmer were bit part players for us. McAtee wasn't part of the squad last season either and I suspect he wouldn't have played much this year either. Same with Perrone.

Gvardiol will play more than Laporte did so our defence has strengthened.

Gundagon is the biggest loss no doubt. We've replaced him with Kovacic and I would also say Nunes fills another void in the midfield. Different skill sets and not as many goals, but their ability to glide past players will open up the pitch for others further forward. it also allows Bernardo and Foden to play more on the right hand side of midfield and in Fodens case probsbly more as the 8 along with Alvarez, until KDB is back.

Doku replaces Mahrez, but I suspect he will play on both the left and right, with Bernardo and Foden playing more on the right. Not a like for like replacement for Mahrez, who was really good for us I thought, but an exciting player who gives us something completely different to what we had previously - an ability to go past players quickly and hit a cross in from the byline.

Bernardo, Ake and Lewis signed new deals and Walker set to sign a new deal too. The average age of the squad has come down from what it was, and I believe we have significantly refreshed the squad after winning the treble. The disappointment is missing out on some primary targets such as Bellingham (who would've been unreal for us), Rice and Paqueta.

Overall for me it's an 8 out of 10. Very good window, filled the gaps in the squad. Not landed all pur 1st choice targets but the players we have brought in fit the way we want to play and bring about some excitement. All young aswell apart from Kovacic. Spent just over £210m and brought in £180m ish? Incredible business from the club.

With academy lads not in reckoning those dead rubbers in CL will feel too much and so will CWC. There will be tired legs in business end again more so now.

As for Gundogoals and Mahrez goals we will see. Neither Bernaro Or Grealish Or Kovacic Or Nunes can give regular goals. It's all down to Haaland Alavarez Foden to make numbers and creativity will have issues too.

Lack of goals and creativity issues would have definitely crossed Pep's mind so let's see what he has in his mind. Aa of now we are short on goals stronger at back and when everybody will be fit we will be very very strong at back.

Should have pushed Phillips out if we won't okay him and Cancelo deal with no obligation and no loan fee? Looks tough on us

People complaining how we've handled the Cancelo situation, I'm not sure what we could have done differently considering the player wouldn't cooperate.

We couldn't force him to take the Saudi offer, much as we probably would have liked to, and obviously we didn't want to sell him to a PL rival (Arsenal). The player was insistent on Barca and we wanted him out of the club by the end of the window.

Our absolute requirement to see him gone meant we had no leverage, so we had to go with the piss-poor offer from Barca to make sure the player wasn't hanging around our dressing room like a bad smell. The poor outcome for City is down to the attitude of the player, not for the first time.
Cancelo should of been told he wouldn't be going to barca on loan without an option to buy ,which they couldn't do.
Then told to report for training at 5pm mon -fri for the season .
He soon would of told his agent to get him to Saudi before their transfer window shuts .
We get the 40m offered ,he gets daft wages then moves on the following season to a team he wants .

We’ve lost 26 goals in Gundo and Mahrez, and no one that has come in is an obvious nor immediate replacement for those. Gundo a real clutch player as well which can’t be overlooked. Both experienced winners.
Kova looks brilliant and has slotted in seamlessly, but seems to offer little in a final attacking play sense - certainly goals.

Doku is an exciting buy, but unproven, so we really can’t say.

Gvardiol is the obvious improvement, albeit in the area we were probably strongest anyway.

Nunes is a decent player, and should help provide some more cover for Rodri.

Palmer wasn’t a regular option for us, but was an option used a little in Carabao last season, and early doors in cups this season, so we have lost a rotation option there.

So, overall with the outs being: Gundo, Mahrez, Laporte, Palmer….at a push Cancelo given we started last season with him.

Ins: Gvardiol, Doku, Nunes, Kovacic.

It’s nothing more than an average window, in my opinion. It’s fine, but nothing special. Then again, if Doku skins Fulham and bags a couple then I may be saying different…!
Yeah, i gave it a 7 but i actually think we're slightly weaker when i really think about it.

Cancelo should of been told he wouldn't be going to barca on loan without an option to buy ,which they couldn't do.
Then told to report for training at 5pm mon -fri for the season .
He soon would of told his agent to get him to Saudi before their transfer window shuts .
We get the 40m offered ,he gets daft wages then moves on the following season to a team he wants .
Option to buy is useless for the club loaning the player.
Obligation to buy can be useful.

Gone for an 8 as I think our business has been pretty good. One of the biggest bonuses for me was Bernardo staying, if we had lost him as well as Gundogan, it would have left a big hole to fill.

No clubs know how new players will fit in until they have played a few games, so don’t think that we can fully judge yet. Looking forward to see Doku in action and hope he can rip a few defences open.

The obvious negative for me like many others is the Cancelo situation. It is clear that other clubs don’t want to risk buying him as he clearly has problems, main one being his attitude. Let’s face it, if a club had offered a cheeky bid of say £25m, we probably would have accepted it in my opinion.

Would have liked McAtee to have stayed, but at least he will get Premiership experience at Sheffield United.

Overall happy and put my trust in Txiki and Pep.

It's a difficult one, Lost Gundo and Mahrez, Kovacic looks good not seen anything really of the others to judge them, the biggest plus would have been Bernardo signing but if that transfer clause is in his contract then its meh, jury is out until ive seen a bit more

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.