Suella Braverman - sacked as Home Secretary (p394)

Stand corrected. So she might be a bit thick then (i.e. the entry requirements for Cambridge are WILDLY different for us plebs vs toffs. (I should know, back in 1979 - when A-levels were hard ;-) - I got 4 straight A's inc Maths, Physics and Chemistry, applied to Downing College, Cambridge to do Physics and didn't get in.)

The thing that me about this woman though is not her seeming lack of intelligence, because to be fair she is probably quite bright. It's the STAGGERING lack of political awareness. I mean, I am not the most diplomatic person in the world but even I would sure as hell know that if I described homelessness as a lifestyle choice for some people, (a) it is crass and insensitive, but (b) and MUCH more importantly, it would be seized upon by the media and opposition and be an absolute turn off for voters. It was a monumentally stupid comment.

I think that's about right - it seems to be solely playing to those who will agree and not interested in anybody else. Politics of diminishing returns.

Dorries will have you believe that the party machine are lining Badenoch up as the next leader, and it feels like Braverman's trying to make herself a name and image for post-election positioning.

I think that's about right - it seems to be solely playing to those who will agree and not interested in anybody else. Politics of diminishing returns.

Dorries will have you believe that the party machine are lining Badenoch up as the next leader, and it feels like Braverman's trying to make herself a name and image for post-election positioning.
Yep.

I have little time for Tony Blair but any aspiring politician should take a leaf out of his book. The do anything in politics, you have to be in power. And to be in power you have to appeal to the many, not to the few. For years before Blair, Labour were appealing only to the ever diminishing number of low-paid, union-orientated workers and not to the increasing number of people with better qualifications and upward aspirations. Let alone to the more well off, traditional Tory voter.

The Tories are now doing the same in reverse. They are increasingly pandering to a smaller and smaller part of the electorate. For all his faults, Boris - and to an extent Cameron and Osborne before him - got this and the levelling-up and need to broaden the Tory church was absolutely the right thing to do. Of course COVID and the war in Ukraine and interest rates etc scuppered all that after we'd had to bail the country out with 200 billion on furlow costs.

But the Tories will never win another election by pandering only to their core voters and Braverman is a fucking idiot for not realising that.

Stand corrected. So she might be a bit thick then (i.e. the entry requirements for Cambridge are WILDLY different for us plebs vs toffs. (I should know, back in 1979 - when A-levels were hard ;-) - I got 4 straight A's inc Maths, Physics and Chemistry, applied to Downing College, Cambridge to do Physics and didn't get in.)

The thing that me about this woman though is not her seeming lack of intelligence, because to be fair she is probably quite bright. It's the STAGGERING lack of political awareness. I mean, I am not the most diplomatic person in the world but even I would sure as hell know that if I described homelessness as a lifestyle choice for some people, (a) it is crass and insensitive, but (b) it would be seized upon by the media and opposition and open me up to all sorts of criticism. As it has done. It was a monumentally stupid comment.
No, she is acutely aware politically. She is actively challenging Sunak to have the balls to sack her, whilst at the same time throwing red meat to the dumb DM readers and at the very same time coralling the right wing side of the party. It's all part of a long game to position herself for when Sunak is gone.

The Rwanda court decision is due shortly. That may be a turning point. If the govt wins she will be lauding it up but will still have to implement it. If they lose, she will push Sunak to leave the ECHR, something I don't believe he will support. she can then resign citing Sunak as giving in to the leftie liberals.

The body language at the state opening spoke volumes. With him actively leaning away from her with a stern look, whilst she was just smirking as Starmer laid into her.

Last edited:
I’m going to underline two words from her today. I’d sack her on the spot, she’s not fit for office.

“"Right-wing and nationalist protesters who engage in aggression are rightly met with a stern response yet pro-Palestinian mobs displaying almost identical behaviour are largely ignored, even when clearly breaking the law."

What I don't get is how anyone with her skin colour would be so far right. Does she think the National front (or whatever they're called now) would welcome her with open arms. If she was brought up in 1930's Germany she'd be in a ditch with a bullet in her head.
She should be celebrating our ethnic diversity not ramming a wedge between it.

The thing that me about this woman though is not her seeming lack of intelligence, because to be fair she is probably quite bright. It's the STAGGERING lack of political awareness. I mean, I am not the most diplomatic person in the world but even I would sure as hell know that if I described homelessness as a lifestyle choice for some people, (a) it is crass and insensitive, but (b) and MUCH more importantly, it would be seized upon by the media and opposition and be an absolute turn off for voters. It was a monumentally stupid comment.
Well yeah, but when you spend your life surrounded by people who think like you, it's possible to genuinely think that it's what everyone else thinks too. Like so many of the other top politicians, she basically tried to get selected to be the Tory candidate anywhere that would have her, lost in Leicester before finally being handed a safe seat that has literally never voted for anything other than Tory since 1918. Very similar to Rishi Sunak, Jacob Rees-Mogg, Michael Gove, Jeremy Hunt, Boris Johnson, George Osborne, David Cameron, etc. None of them actually had to win their seats in a close race. The well-connected basically do their time with their party and then get handed seats they're guaranteed to win, and then they're on the gravy train. Then when the ministerial positions come around, it's these people who have been handed safe seats that often also get the top jobs. And then after a career of being handed opportunities by their friends, they top it all off by being appointed to the final gravy train, the House of Lords. And for the record, this isn't just a Tory thing, it's just that it's quite telling what type of people the Tories almost always give these easy wins to. They could be handed to people from underrepresented groups (by which I don't mean public schoolboys with a different skin colour), but they're frequently given to the most privileged people in the party.

Basically what I'm saying is that she doesn't necessarily have any clue what it takes to appeal to the public because she's never truly had to do it. She's never faced an election she was going to lose. She's never had to build bridges or get people on board, and it shows.

For the record, I very much doubt she's thick. But there's no correlation between being smart and being a good person.

Yep.

I have little time for Tony Blair but any aspiring politician should take a leaf out of his book. The do anything in politics, you have to be in power. And to be in power you have to appeal to the many, not to the few. For years before Blair, Labour were appealing only to the ever diminishing number of low-paid, union-orientated workers and not to the increasing number of people with better qualifications and upward aspirations. Let alone to the more well off, traditional Tory voter.

The Tories are now doing the same in reverse. They are increasingly pandering to a smaller and smaller part of the electorate. For all his faults, Boris - and to an extent Cameron and Osborne before him - got this and the levelling-up and need to broaden the Tory church was absolutely the right thing to do. Of course COVID and the war in Ukraine and interest rates etc scuppered all that after we'd had to bail the country out with 200 billion on furlow costs.

But the Tories will never win another election by pandering only to their core voters and Braverman is a fucking idiot for not realising that.

Pretty much agree with the outline - didn't Cameron's campaign refer to Blair as 'the master' and basically copied him.

The tone deafness of the levelling up comments from Sunak in Tunbridge Wells were astonishing (moving it from poor north to the south) - he could have made the point that there is less money for things far more competently, and without giving money back to rich bankers (as an example). It's just numbskull and leads to your last line which I agree with.

I don't know who is pulling the strings of Sunak but it's short-termism, maybe aiming for resetting the landscape so it's all but impossible to undo in 10 years - I've thought this was the plan for a while now.

Anyway on topic, I thought the Met commissioner's response covered the ravings of Braverman - they can stop the march if they have info that there will be trouble. It's the law.

What I don't get is how anyone with her skin colour would be so far right. Does she think the National front (or whatever they're called now) would welcome her with open arms. If she was brought up in 1930's Germany she'd be in a ditch with a bullet in her head.
She should be celebrating our ethnic diversity not ramming a wedge between it.

Ethnic minorities don’t always like immigration mate and I don’t believe differing ethnic communities have always seen eye to eye. She wears her skin colour as a balaclava to openly preach her hatred.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.