Pep's contract situation

By definition the only way a goalkeeper can get to make his save is by defensive error.
I would maybe expect a better save ratio than 14 conceded from 22.
He remains a wonderful distributer of the ball and for that I find no fault.

Fundemently speaking the main objective of any keeper has to be stopping the ball from entering the net,this and only this and then a pinch of your sweeper keepering as a sideline.
Joe was the antithesis of Bravo and could certainly stop a shot albeit with limited distribution.
I would expect a keeper not firing 100% to be rotated with reserve keeper to the fore.
Willy get your kit in the wash your on for the spuds. You earn your place in the squad it's not an expected privildge.
Agree with the second part of your post, but the first bit, that's not entirely true, a great bit of skill or movement and passing can create a shooting chance. More often than not at the moment the chances we concede are from complete howlers or a ball over the top.

By definition the only way a goalkeeper can get to make his save is by defensive error.
I would maybe expect a better save ratio than 14 conceded from 22
He remains a wonderful distributer of the ball and for that I find no fault.

Fundemently speaking the main objective of any keeper has to be stopping the ball from entering the net,this and only this and then a pinch of your sweeper keepering as a sideline.
Joe was the antithesis of Bravo and could certainly stop a shot albeit with limited distribution.
I would expect a keeper not firing 100% to be rotated with reserve keeper to the fore.
Willy get your kit in the wash your on for the spuds. You earn your place in the squad it's not an expected privildge.

Actually, I've even found myself wondering about this. He is virtually totally right-footed. If he gets the ball on his left foot, he dares do nothing with it. He takes time to transfer it to his right foot, and by that time, the opposition's forwards are closing down on our full backs such that when they actually get the thing, they've got no time to think, they've got to make a panic pass, as often as not, straight back to him. But he himself is being closed down at this point, so that he has to hoof it. Count the number of times this happens, and I think you'll see that it's frequent. I'm not getting on Bravo's case here (at least not for this - his shot-stopping is another matter), the vast majority of footballers are one-footed as far as accurate passing is concerned, but the fact is that even this building it from the back is not working as smoothly as it should.
It worked at Barca because the full backs immediately had one of the deep midfielders who had taken up space, to pass the ball to with one touch. And that got the whole Barca machine rolling forward. That isn't happening nearly as often as it ought to with us.

Just looking at the thread title, we've drifted a long way from it. Look, Pep's here for three years, minimum, if he chooses to be. The only way he'd be sacked would be if we drifted into mid-table, or worse, and that just ain't going to happen. The chairman and the sheik are long-term strategic planners, with an eye to the big picture. Do you really they would have invested in that footballing academy, second to none, if that weren't the case? They courted this man for three years. He's not going anywhere. His is just about the safest job in the PL. Certainly safer than Mourinho's. Not that that will mean they're at all happy with what's going on at present. When did we last get beaten 4-0 in the league? And by a mid-table side at that? Short-term, then, unhappy bunnies (like all of us). Medium to long-term: have faith.

Last edited:
Not sure it matters either way, contracts mean naff all in todays game.

Agree with the second part of your post, but the first bit, that's not entirely true, a great bit of skill or movement and passing can create a shooting chance. More often than not at the moment the chances we concede are from complete howlers or a ball over the top.

Wrong choice of word sideline.
I meant secondary to ball stopping.

Sorry but he has lost all credibility with me over his baffling decision to replace Hart with Bravo.

If I was the Sheikh I would be looking around for a replacement already.

This has to be a wind up. Either that, or it's one of the most ridiculous posts ever on Bluemoon.
Seems a bit unecessary to me.

Look, I hope he stays here for 4, 5 or even 20 years as this will mean that he's made a success of the job and that we've really become one of the best teams in Europe, but... what if he doesn't? What if, at the end of next season or the season after we've not progressed as we should? Success is not guaranteed and that is in no way a judgement on Pep's managerial abilities as I do belive he's a great manager, however sometimes things just don't work out.

Why not wait until the end of next season, when we can see how things are going, to give him a new contract? Why does it have to be the end of this one when we quite possibly may have had what could be viewed as a relatively disappointing season? If it's to "send a message" out as some people have suggested, I ask who to? The media? Why give a fuck what they think or say (the club usually doesn't). Players? Frankly anyone signing this Summer isn't going to give a shit whether Pep has 2 years or 3 years left on his contract.

As I said,I just don't see the need for it. If it doesn't work out the only thing that is going to happen is that it will cost us twice as much to dispense of his services.

Maybe it's come about following a discussion between Pep and the club where Pep has said he needs more than 3 years and he wants the club's assurance that he's got as long as it needs? Maybe it's not for the media at all, but the media coverage is simply an added bonus?

It worked at Barca because the full backs immediately had one of the deep midfielders who had taken up space, to pass the ball to with one touch. And that got the whole Barca machine rolling forward. That isn't happening nearly as often as it ought to with us.
Somebody posted a link a few pages back. here.
There is a great post in the post match thread illustrating what our problem is at the moment:

Everton v City post match

Hope I got it right with the link to it. We are really, really close to something good, but as you can read there very small mistakes make the difference. Playing Pep-football is really, really difficult.

just watching this shows how frustrating it must be for Bravo and Pep. he does his job but instead of passing up field through the press he keeps getting it back. Until we see this working with Peps players it's hard to make a judgement.

Don't worry Bill I didn't choose to ignore this like everyone else. Completely agree with you here. Having the Balls to make those cut throat decisions are what define you and he doesn't make them
Exactly,he does not seem to want to make those decisions,you only have to look at that clown in goal to see evidence of that,on present form a contract extension rumour seems well out of place,so forgive me if i treat it as exactly that-an internet forum rumour without any foundation whatsoever

My posting history is consistent and I stand by it.

My definition of a great manager is one who can take a group of players and produce a team that is greater than the sum of it's parts.

I prefer a manager who can deliver results to one with a philosophy and an idea that there is a right way to play football.

To repeat, for the umpteenth time, if Pep delivers, great (this is the ideal scenario), if he doesn't he has to go.

No one person is bigger than our club.
Nail on head

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.