Aguero's disallowed goal

surely the camera and tracking positions of these devices can pinpoint offside... however, it'd be a FIFA rule if they used ths kind of technology. OPTA can distinguish shirt colours, heat maps etc... so it can't be far off

A tiny tag (smaller than a micro SIM card) could easily be built into the matchday shirts, usually the collar, to eliminate offside issues. It’s already working technology built into warehouse staff uniforms (I won’t name and shame the company) for monitoring performance and can tell you to the millimetre where someone is on the floor at any given time. Each tag costs less than 50p and is programmable with a machine costing less than £1500 in about 30 seconds.

I also very much expect the technology in the ball can be adapted although admittedly I know far less about this to record a change in direction or velocity, at any given time.

A simple algorithm could then tell you if a player is offside, determined by the tags and ball data at any time. Decisions on interference would still be VAR, however the tags would completely rule out marginal offside decisions. Even if the exact timing has to come from a human, it would still be a selection of ball movements to choose from and not a guess.

VAR is shite. fuck it off and give us our game back.
Come on Bill it’s no coincidence that the two most anti VAR are the rags & the scousers, once refined properly it will stop most of the dubious decisions. With VAR this season the Scousers would be about 6th. Vital for the future if the game imho. Like you I’ve been watching for a lifetime & the dodgy at best or possibly bent decisions have got worse & worse.
It’s not realistic to think that VAR in its infancy will be as good as it gets. I hope that it will be made transparent although the cynic in me doubts it will be here anytime soon

Come on Bill it’s no coincidence that the two most anti VAR are the rags & the scousers, once refined properly it will stop most of the dubious decisions. With VAR this season the Scousers would be about 6th. Vital for the future if the game imho. Like you I’ve been watching for a lifetime & the dodgy at best or possibly bent decisions have got worse & worse.
It’s not realistic to think that VAR in its infancy will be as good as it gets. I hope that it will be made transparent although the cynic in me doubts it will be here anytime soon
easy to fix, put in on the big screen. end of debate.

Odd that all premiership rugby teams are capable of having a TMO with a big screen and everyone miked up yet the premiership with all the billions of pounds floating around aren’t capable of it. I wonder why. The swamp can’t accomodate a big screen and I reckon plenty of other grounds can’t either but why can’t refs be miked so at least TV audience can hear how a decision is reached. ‘Hi guys City has scored can we find an offside or a foul somewhere in the past couple of minutes’ is possibly how the conversation might start

You need to get off BM talking such sense. Has no place here

Odd that all premiership rugby teams are capable of having a TMO with a big screen and everyone miked up yet the premiership with all the billions of pounds floating around aren’t capable of it. I wonder why. The swamp can’t accomodate a big screen and I reckon plenty of other grounds can’t either but why can’t refs be miked so at least TV audience can hear how a decision is reached. ‘Hi guys City has scored can we find an offside or a foul somewhere in the past couple of minutes’ is possibly how the conversation might start

Yeah and when the rags are playing

Ref- “Hi guys I’ve just seen the most blatant foul in the box by Chris Smalling so had to give it but can you find a way for me to overrule the decision?”

VAR ref “Yes sure. United winning the title is good for the brand so just change your mind because no one gets to find out what we say anyway. Make up any old excuse”

Ref “no pen, sorry guys, VAR spotted a slight nudge by the opposition player 5 yards away from the incident and had I seen that I would have given it”

VAR ref - “good lad, that’s the FA cup final for you this year”

A tiny tag (smaller than a micro SIM card) could easily be built into the matchday shirts, usually the collar, to eliminate offside issues. It’s already working technology built into warehouse staff uniforms (I won’t name and shame the company) for monitoring performance and can tell you to the millimetre where someone is on the floor at any given time. Each tag costs less than 50p and is programmable with a machine costing less than £1500 in about 30 seconds.

I also very much expect the technology in the ball can be adapted although admittedly I know far less about this to record a change in direction or velocity, at any given time.

A simple algorithm could then tell you if a player is offside, determined by the tags and ball data at any time. Decisions on interference would still be VAR, however the tags would completely rule out marginal offside decisions. Even if the exact timing has to come from a human, it would still be a selection of ball movements to choose from and not a guess.
Where in the shirt do you put the tag?
The location could mean someone facing forwards is offside but someone in the same position looking back at his own goal is onside.

Would it have helped with the Aguero decision? Clearly his shirt was offside when compared with the shirts of Chelsea players. It was arguably the foot of Rudiger that played him onside. You can't put a chip in every inch of every piece of clothing and footwear.

The offside law needs revising. It's ridiculous that we're talking about millimetres on or offside. That's not why the law was created. We need something that punishes players who "goal hang" for want of a better phrase. Not players who start their run 0.1 seconds before the defender.

Where in the shirt do you put the tag?
The location could mean someone facing forwards is offside but someone in the same position looking back at his own goal is onside.

Would it have helped with the Aguero decision? Clearly his shirt was offside when compared with the shirts of Chelsea players. It was arguably the foot of Rudiger that played him onside. You can't put a chip in every inch of every piece of clothing and footwear.

The offside law needs revising. It's ridiculous that we're talking about millimetres on or offside. That's not why the law was created. We need something that punishes players who "goal hang" for want of a better phrase. Not players who start their run 0.1 seconds before the defender.

I agree. Always liked the idea of daylight between attacker and last man as the standard. Even this is too radical so it will never happen but offsides over these fine margins is fairly silly. If a player mistimes so much that they are completely beyond the last defender then we can stop it.

Somebody will have to buy one for united and liverpool though.

Someone will have to keep on buying one for liverpool though. Meanwhile, and completely unrelated of course, you should see the size of the new flat screen TVs that have appeared in Toxteth, and Bootle, and Kirkby, and.....

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.