Assessment of our business this summer | Poll Added

Go on then, rate our transfer business out of 10?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Got to look at where Gundo was when he joined and when he left. The last two years he really added goals up that took time. Someone else will develop and add that to their game. Whether that’s Rodri because he’s got more support now or Foden has a big year. Alvarez will have a good season.

In terms of new signings I’m thrilled. We have signed players that look like they could make the difference when the game isn’t going our way. Doku and Nunes can break lines, sometimes I find we are too focused on ball retention and just want us to break. Whether they start or this is impact off the bench it’s much needed. Kovacic looks like he’s been here 3+ years under pep, genius midfielder. Gvardiol in our system could dominate for 10 years.

Bernado new deal. More minutes for Foden, Alvarez and Lewis. Gomez and Bobb to take opportunities. Doku, Gvardiol, Nunes and Kov are great signings in my opinion.

One thing I’d like to see whilst KDB is out is an idea of long term succession. And I think that comes within the squad and not a signing we’ve missed out on.

Surely it makes it harder to offload him next summer and we will be committed to paying his salary for at least part of next year, likely all of the summer?
Well Cancelos value right now is pretty low, hence why no one is trying to get him on a permanent deal

If he succeeds at Barca, which I think he well as La Liga is tailor made to make him look good, then it'll (hopefully) give someone (anyone) a little bit of confidence that he's worth the transfer fee we are after

Either way, it's better to get in the loan fee and get his wages off the books for the next 10 months then it is him frozen out training with the U21

In Gundo and Mahrez we lost 2 players we would have lost naturally within a year or two max anyway, due to their age.

In Palmer, Laporte and Cancelo we lost 3 players that weren't regulars, one that hardly featured and was already out.

Loaned out the most promising youngsters for experience, cashed in on the rest.

Kept the players we really wanted to keep, in Walker, Ortega and Bernardo.

Gvardiol a proper big player already, and so young. Doku highly promising, and so young. Kovacic a quality experienced player, Nunes an unproven potential, coming into his prime age.

All of them bought for less than the reported asking price, and arguably the broader market values. Didn't get pants pulled down or pay silly money for anyone. Reinforced the 'we don't overpay' image the club are clearly trying to impose.

Great fees for outgoing youngsters. Pretty rubbish fees for outgoing senior players. Mahrez, Laporte and Cancelo between the 3 of them, in this market, should easily be 120m + worth, we got 55m in total. Palmer's 45m really boosts it. But, reinforced the 'we don't stand in players' way if they bring an offer' image the club clearly want to impose.

Overall, a squad comparable to last year's treble winning side, younger and hungrier, with a higher 'value' with players on longer contracts and better age. Now it is just a case of getting the most out of them as quickly as possible, but that's what Pep does best.

Not going to put a number agaisnt it, not my thing.

Last edited:
Couldn't have got more for Laporte if nobody was willing to pay it.
Easily could have. If we asked for more. And held out a bit longer. No way the Saudis would have risked missing out on players of their quality or profile over an extra 10m of increased a transfer fees. The club chose to let them go for low, I get that. But it Was low.

Genuinely a fantastic window IMO.

Renewal of Bernie/Walker on top of a new style of versatile/ball carrying midfielder allowing Rodri to go further forward will improve our game tenfold. And a rapid, direct, skilful winger!

Shame about some of the outgoings but a great window which hasn’t seen us sit still after reaching the top of the mountain.
Agree, but according to what's between the BBC lines we have fallen short of the Dippers, the Rags, the Arse and EFC, who have shipped out two and not replaced 'em!

Genuinely a fantastic window IMO.

Renewal of Bernie/Walker on top of a new style of versatile/ball carrying midfielder allowing Rodri to go further forward will improve our game tenfold. And a rapid, direct, skilful winger!

Shame about some of the outgoings but a great window which hasn’t seen us sit still after reaching the top of the mountain.

While I'm happy to celebrate keeping both Bernardo and Walker this season, nothing has really changed, as of yet.

Walker can agree a deal to join Bayern for free next season in 4 months.

Bernardo can leave next year for a value we could have demanded for him anyway.

But at least it gets another season out of them, and gives the time to plan ahead.

Overall it's been a pretty good window. Gundogan and Mahrez have both been replaced. We've retained Bernardo for another year at least, which gives us time to plan accordingly.

Doku looks promising but is raw. Palmer wanted more game time but left for a club where he may well struggle to even make the bench

Keeping Ortega was key. Gvaridol could be immense for us.

I think we are a little on the thin side. Fortunately we have a fairly easy (gulp, famous last words) Champions League group. Come January, hopefully Kev will be back, we have no further long term injuries and we fill the vacant place in the squad. Should another academy player or two emerge then brilliant.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.