Corners

Prestwich_Blue said:
Surely they should be in-swinging as well? That was you've got the attacking players running on to them and the defenders on the back foot.

I much prefer to see us take inswingers, but didn't our analysts persuade Mancini that outswingers are statistically more successful? Seem to recall that from our title winning season under Roberto, could be wrong though.

Interestingly, I work with a guy who plays in defence, he much prefers to defend inswingers, reckons it's easier to attack the ball. I've always thought that it's better if the ball is bending in towards the goal, only needs the slightest touch then….?

Either way, drives me mad when a corner doesn't clear the 1st defender.

Doesn't matter if they are inswinging or outswinging. It's all about winning the header and if you miss the first defender and keep it from the keeper then you have a chance.

GSW Blue said:
Doesn't matter if they are inswinging or outswinging. It's all about winning the header and if you miss the first defender and keep it from the keeper then you have a chance.

In terms of attacking I'm with you 100%. However out swingers can be dangerous if the team your playing against is good on the counter attack, the angle gives them a good opportunity to break. I wouldn't use this against the likes of Chelsea for instance.

The critical thing is the pace on the ball and as you say missing their first man.....We have to improve on Davids floated ball over though, it offers us nothing!!

Tim Howard has said definitely that inswingers are more dangerous. You still have to put it in the right place - too close to the goalie and it's no use of course. But I wouldn't overload either way. Mix it up and keep the opposition guessing. I also liked the variation Milner has tried a couple of times where he plays it out to someone on the edge of the box for a shot. Fernandinho scored a cracker last season against (I think) Fulham with that. And we almost got one against Villa just before half time.

Millwallawayveteran1988 said:
gxblue said:
Yet last season we scored most goals from corners in the prem I think

Makes it even more annoying.....

Its the price you pay. Its the ones that only just clear the first man that are the most dangerous.

Its a bit like tennis. The best servers serve the most lets. Because they're trying to only just clear the net.

Whoever coaches our players at corners and set pieces is incredibly lucky to be still in a job. We are shocking at them. 11 more of them today and again nothing from them. Yaya needs to take a few. He might whip them in with pace. If we are without the individual brilliance of Kun for any length of time we have to be less wasteful in this area.

I think ever since Hughes took over and all the way through Mr M and now Mr P we have scored far more than our fair share from corners but we do seem to have hit a bit of a brick wall (or in our case the defender in front of the near post !) these last few games.

They were terrible today and have been poor for a number of weeks.

Defending them though is another matter. We haven't let a single goal in yet in the League this season from a set piece. Very impressive.

B\connellblue said:
Whoever coaches our players at corners and set pieces is incredibly lucky to be still in a job. We are shocking at them. 11 more of them today and again nothing from them. Yaya needs to take a few. He might whip them in with pace. If we are without the individual brilliance of Kun for any length of time we have to be less wasteful in this area.

Just remember we are great at defending them! Haven't let in a single goal from corners in premier league this season.

Nevermind, already mentioned the post above..

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.