England v Slovakia - Sun 30th June, 17:00 | Euro 2024 Round of 16

Match Result Prediction?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
England have had managers in the past that have won everything domestically - how did that fair for us ? Sven, Capello - all had very impressive CVs, why didn't we win the tournament if its all about that?

Southgate doesn't have an impressive domestic CV and it turns out he has been one of England's greatest ever managers statistically and taking us all way to semi/final in recent tournaments.

His tactics may not please many, but they have been a big part of us progressing consistently in major tournaments - there's only so many times you can label him 'lucky'

Capello was a disaster, he had no connection with the players, nor understood the culture.

Sven was unlucky, undone by moments, a freak free-kick, an incorrectly disallowed goal, or a red card to your best player.

There's a lot of context missing relating to your Southgate statement. We've had piss easy groups and draws through to the latter stages that have seen us progress consistently in tournaments. It's clear to me it's his tactics that are the reason we've lost in the big games.

There are no examples of us performing well against a decent team at a tournament under Southgate. We beat the also-rans, struggle against average opposition, then we deservedly lose to the first good side we play.

Nice little “the problem is the City players” analysis from Sky Sports today in the ‘ANALYSIS: Six England Problems Southgate Must Fix’ article, even as the stats they reference shows issues everywhere, and especially with the main man in midfield.

Very poor first half. Better second half but still bang average. Bellingham and Kane saved Southgate his job for a bit longer.

The only positive I can see is we can't play much worse than we have been, but then again I'm sure we can lol. I really hope we can let the shackles off a bit next match. Surely the Swiss are favourites?

What is this obsession you have with supporting really dull unimaginative people?

Do you put 25% of your wages in a low interest but safe investment scheme?
Of course I support the England team, but have very little faith in the manager.

Only what I think is best for the country. The longer we go, the more beer can be had ;-)

Yes the reality is success is judged on sides winning things. I'm not a fan of giving medals to everyone for taking part like schools do these days. No one even remembers second.

With regards to Pep only winning the CL once after several attaempts with City , that is precisely why you need the best man for the job to make it easier and even then it won't be !

Having a failure as England Manager and Yes Southgate is a failure as he has won nothing and has only shown very limited potential makes it a dam sight harder.

Ask yourself this simple question and answer honestly. Do you think with Pep or Klopp or Ancellotti managing this England team we would have a better chance of progressing. If the answer is yes then you are implicitly acknowledging the limitations of Southgate.
The same logic applies to playing well. Very obviously, the better a team plays, the more likely they are to win games. Yet we still get people who insist that performances don't matter, only results do.

That's okay on odd, isolated occasions (we've all said the same when City scrape through a game undeservedly towards the end of a season), but it's a real problem when it becomes the default setting over a wide body of games. It massively increases the chances of failure as your luck will inevitably run out.

That's why many of us are rightly being so critical after 4 depressingly bad performances against mediocre opposition. We've seen it all before and know how it ends.

Capello was a disaster, he had no connection with the players, nor understood the culture.

Sven was unlucky, undone by moments, a freak free-kick, an incorrectly disallowed goal, or a red card to your best player.

There's a lot of context missing relating to your Southgate statement. We've had piss easy groups and draws through to the latter stages that have seen us progress consistently in tournaments. It's clear to me it's his tactics that are the reason we've lost in the big games.

There are no examples of us performing well against a decent team at a tournament under Southgate. We beat the also-rans, struggle against average opposition, then we deservedly lose to the first good side we play.
Very well put, unfortunately i very much doubt Bluehammmer will be able to comprehend any of that, as he as said he isn't bothered about tactics, formations playing players in their best positions, he never gets worked up about any of that stuff. In his eyes Gareth is is doing a great job, just look at his record. Shearer, Lineker , Murphy infact every pundit and England fan who has dared to question Southgates tactics is just being mean.
Bluehammer doesnt think there isn't anyone else out there that could get this team playing any better. That's essentially what you have said isn't it BlueHammer85? You can't have it both ways mate, you can't state nonsense like the above and at the same time profess to know something about football? It doesn't add up.

Nice little “the problem is the City players” analysis from Sky Sports today in the ‘ANALYSIS: Six England Problems Southgate Must Fix’ article, even as the stats they reference shows issues everywhere, and especially with the main man in midfield.
Very Good analysis, but it is funny that the conclusions from each part of the analysis seems to focus on the City players. Especially Foden, with no mention of him being forced to play out of position.

The most telling stats in that table must surely be the shots and chances created table. Despite having played every minute and scoring two goals Bellinghams stats are by far the worst or any attacking player. But strangely no focus on this in the conclusions? Hahaha

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.