General Election - 4th July 2024

Who will you be voting for in the General Election?

• Labour

Votes: 266 56.8%
  • Conservative

Votes: 12 2.6%
  • Liberal Democrat

Votes: 40 8.5%
  • Reform

Votes: 71 15.2%
  • Green Party

Votes: 28 6.0%
  • Other

Votes: 51 10.9%

• Total voters
Was mulling over the period from the start of the financial crisis (2007-2008) to now (2024), and wondered if anyone could point to a time within when things for the U.K. were actually good or at least stable.

The fact that the period coincides with our resurgence is not lost on me. Add another to the charge sheet...

Flying home from hols tomorrow in time to vote.
Can I suggest that anyone who hasn’t decided yet not to vote for the party that has fucked the country over for the last 14 years or Farage’s limited company that wants us to be allies with Putin.
Vote for anyone else whether it’s Labour, Lib Dems, Greens, Loonies, Binface, Scots, Welsh or Irish nationalists or any independent that takes your fancy.
Oh, and fuck Galloway off as well, the ****.

Was mulling over the period from the start of the financial crisis (2007-2008) to now (2024), and wondered if anyone could point to a time within when things for the U.K. were actually good or at least stable.

The fact that the period coincides with our resurgence is not lost on me. Add another to the charge sheet...

I think this would be quite a personal thing but for me 2012-13 was the last time things felt "okay". I was just finishing university, I didn't suffer the huge tuition fee increases so I left in fairly good health and with a manageable student debt. I found a decent job within a month of graduating. We also had the Olympics and Aguero in 2012 - national pride felt like it still might be a thing. I had some level of optimism for my future, and the Lib Dems seemed to be keeping the worst of the Tories in check. The economy was just starting to feel like it might move in the right direction again after GFC, that was around the time we got back to our pre-GFC GDP and the assumption was it would keep going up from there.

It didn't. Ten years later our GDP is basically the same.

Since then it's pretty much felt like an inexorable downhill march getting worse and worse every year...

Enough bandying words on here. I'm going off out soon with the Labour candidate, knocking on the doors of people whose minds aren't closed.
If you knew for certain that your local Labour candidate wanked off goats in his or her spare time, would you still vote for them?

I’m guessing it’s likely to be a ‘yes’.

1I think this would be quite a personal thing but for me 2012-13 was the last time things felt "okay". I was just finishing university, I didn't suffer the huge tuition fee increases so I left in fairly good health and with a manageable student debt. I found a decent job within a month of graduating. We also had the Olympics and Aguero in 2012 - national pride felt like it still might be a thing. I had some level of optimism for my future, and the Lib Dems seemed to be keeping the worst of the Tories in check. The economy was just starting to feel like it might move in the right direction again after GFC, that was around the time we got back to our pre-GFC GDP and the assumption was it would keep going up from there.

It didn't. Ten years later our GDP is basically the same.

Since then it's pretty much felt like an inexorable downhill march getting worse and worse every year...
Oddly enough, that was the one year (12-13) I considered, too, when things looked to be almost coming back to some semblance of 'normality' in the U.K.. Maybe it was the short-lived Olympics effect (that lot won the league), but thereafter it was more divisive referenda and the slide downwards just seemed to accelerate. Unless the slide is arrested, it will be almost twenty painful years.

Before Brexit. Things have been shit since the 2008 crash, and it's hard to have lived through Cameron and Osbourne's austerity and say things were "stable" in those years. But since Brexit it's been three years of focusing on "getting Brexit done" while the rest of the country stagnates, then two years of a pandemic while the rest of the country stagnates, and two years of a joke government marking time while the rest of the country stagnates. I don't see things turning round with this Labour government either.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.