Guitar Thread

My 9 yo lad is learning to play, can anyone recommend a decent beginners text or app ?
Justinguitar is very good also get him some really simple riffs off you tube to keep the interest up. It's hard work to start. He has free step by step beginners course and loads of songs with the easiest chords.

If he lasts 6 months he won't regret it. Most give up too soon.

My 9 yo lad is learning to play, can anyone recommend a decent beginners text or app ?
The Justin guitar and Marty ones mentioned previously are probably the best for beginners.

As for the guitar...

Make sure the strings are a light gauge, if they aren't get it restrung, it's not expensive and it will make it much easier to play.

Beginners normally struggle with barre chords and most decent tunes have a fair few in them. To keep him interested, whilst he builds up technique, having a capo which changes the key by clamping across the strings can help, if you transpose the song up one or two steps you can often remove tricky barre chords. There are a number of free apps that will do this for you if you have the guitar tabs.
Don't think of it as a cheat, many professional performers use them when playing live and some tunes actually specify that a capo is required.

Practice little and often rather than hour long sessions a couple of times a week. It's easier on the fingers (which can get sore) and you tend to improve more quickly.

The Justin guitar and Marty ones mentioned previously are probably the best for beginners.

As for the guitar...

Make sure the strings are a light gauge, if they aren't get it restrung, it's not expensive and it will make it much easier to play.

Beginners normally struggle with barre chords and most decent tunes have a fair few in them. To keep him interested, whilst he builds up technique, having a capo which changes the key by clamping across the strings can help, if you transpose the song up one or two steps you can often remove tricky barre chords. There are a number of free apps that will do this for you if you have the guitar tabs.
Don't think of it as a cheat, many professional performers use them when playing live and some tunes actually specify that a capo is required.

Practice little and often rather than hour long sessions a couple of times a week. It's easier on the fingers (which can get sore) and you tend to improve more quickly.
Great advice, thanks. He has a 30m lesson once a week and I’m trying to get him to practice 2 or 3 times 15 to 30 minutes...

Best way to learn imo is playing along to favourite bands mysic. Train your ear, learn to play and it's fun. YouTube also a great resource to watch favourite players rather than just listen

Seriously thinking about getting this. Great reviews, Squire are closing the gap on Fender

Nice....although thr lighter wood has a bit of impact on the sustain.....and can be a slightly thinner sound...but that can also depend on what you're playing it through.
I'm thinking of getting my son the 70s vibe squier jazzmaster for xmas....its beaut

Seriously thinking about getting this. Great reviews, Squire are closing the gap on Fender

Its nice looking but everything about that guitar screams "cheap" to me, cheap wood, cheap electrics, pots, pickups, cheap tuners, a beginners guitar. What it is is a shiny new toy that looks cool.They are not closing the gap on Fender.
My advice is save up more money and buy a second hand USA Fender, OR Japanese Fender. Both as massively superior and both will increase in value over the years and both will last a lifetime.

Can you all learn this please then report back :)

Love my 94 Japanese Strat and have an Ozark acoustic to strum on.
This bloke is just insane. Seen him live. I know its a joke but not a realistic goal to aim at, bit like me trying to play like Kev in my Thursday 5 aside.
Wonder what his favourite chord is?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.