Insanity work-out

sjk2008 said:
The problem about starting now is that I have an occasion (which will involve Food & Beer) every weekend now, up until the New Year, so I think might just enjoy myself while I can before attempting to succeed in carrying out my, 'new years resolution', so to speak.

Frosties & Milk eh?

No offence intended mate but that's just a piss easy lazy persons 'get out' clause :-).

You'll be starting from much further back which will obviously have an effect on the end result when you do, no reason why you can't be 'good' in the week and then enjoy yourself at your do's until you hit it full on.

The biggest problem though mate, is your mindset, the yo-yo approach won't work well for you as iirc (from that photo you posted) you have classic endomorphic tendencies, so it's something you need to change as part of your lifestyle if you want to get leaner, starting now will help acclimatise you towards this and give you a better idea of how your body responds with diet and various stimuli.

All the best though mate whatever you choose to do.

Dirty Harry said:
sjk2008 said:
The problem about starting now is that I have an occasion (which will involve Food & Beer) every weekend now, up until the New Year, so I think might just enjoy myself while I can before attempting to succeed in carrying out my, 'new years resolution', so to speak.

Frosties & Milk eh?

No offence intended mate but that's just a piss easy lazy persons 'get out' clause :-).

You'll be starting from much further back which will obviously have an effect on the end result when you do, no reason why you can't be 'good' in the week and then enjoy yourself at your do's until you hit it full on.

The biggest problem though mate, is your mindset, the yo-yo approach won't work well for you as iirc (from that photo you posted) you have classic endomorphic tendencies, so it's something you need to change as part of your lifestyle if you want to get leaner, starting now will help acclimatise you towards this and give you a better idea of how your body responds with diet and various stimuli.

All the best though mate whatever you choose to do.

Fair do's.

Yeah, I've just read up on the Endomorphic tendecies and it seems about right. Unfortunately, it also seems it'll be a little more difficult for someone like me to look leaner but I'm sure this Insanity DVD will help in a big way.

I might take your advice on starting sooner then. I think I'll wait for payday to arrive next week, and get the specified ingredients bought in according to the Nutrition Plan that came with the DVD.

In your opinion, if I follow the DVD instructions, (but instead of working out 6 days a week, it'll be 5) should I still see positive results even though, up until the end of year, I will be partaking in a couple of boozing sessions at the weekends?

The last thing I want to do is bust my balls on this DVD only for me not to see any results because I have ruined all the good work by 'enjoying' myself at the weekends?

sjk2008 said:
Fair do's.

Yeah, I've just read up on the Endomorphic tendecies and it seems about right. Unfortunately, it also seems it'll be a little more difficult for someone like me to look leaner but I'm sure this Insanity DVD will help in a big way.

I might take your advice on starting sooner then. I think I'll wait for payday to arrive next week, and get the specified ingredients bought in according to the Nutrition Plan that came with the DVD.

In your opinion, if I follow the DVD instructions, (but instead of working out 6 days a week, it'll be 5) should I still see positive results even though, up until the end of year, I will be partaking in a couple of boozing sessions at the weekends?

The last thing I want to do is bust my balls on this DVD only for me not to see any results because I have ruined all the good work by 'enjoying' myself at the weekends?

It generally is the case you/we (endomorph types) have to be a little more stricter than most mate, but that's easily turned around with the right mindset, approach and a little more knowledge.

I've not seen the DVD in full, just bits (and similar methods in years gone by) but get the general gist, it'll be ideal for your goals with regards to physical exercise, the diet part really is something sold alongside the exercise part, in simple terms you can easily replicate it without having to go for specific supplements and food stuffs using other options, a simple diet of protein, veg, some good fats and carbs after workout will work just as well.

Best to remember this simple equation " calories taken in Vs calorie expenditure" (yes it really is that simple), so what you're looking to do over a 24 hour period is be in a calorie deficit (roughly 500-1,000 depending on how much fat you're carrying, think of the weight you are and what you eat what maintains that weight then work from there), this can be done by diet manipulation, exercise or a combination of both (this DVD hits both which is why you see good and quick results).

So yes if you keep everything tight diet-wise(you don't have to starve yourself, just make better food choices) in the week training 5 times and then a bit of a blowout Saturday then you'll still see very good results, this way is a hell of a lot better than doing nothing mate :-)

Dirty Harry said:
sjk2008 said:
Fair do's.

It generally is the case you/we (endomorph types) have to be a little more stricter than most mate, but that's easily turned around with the right mindset, approach and a little more knowledge.

I've not seen the DVD in full, just bits (and similar methods in years gone by) but get the general gist, it'll be ideal for your goals with regards to physical exercise, the diet part really is something sold alongside the exercise part, in simple terms you can easily replicate it without having to go for specific supplements and food stuffs using other options, a simple diet of protein, veg, some good fats and carbs after workout will work just as well.

Best to remember this simple equation " calories taken in Vs calorie expenditure" (yes it really is that simple), so what you're looking to do over a 24 hour period is be in a calorie deficit (roughly 500-1,000 depending on how much fat you're carrying, think of the weight you are and what you eat what maintains that weight then work from there), this can be done by diet manipulation, exercise or a combination of both (this DVD hits both which is why you see good and quick results).

So yes if you keep everything tight diet-wise(you don't have to starve yourself, just make better food choices) in the week training 5 times and then a bit of a blowout Saturday then you'll still see very good results, this way is a hell of a lot better than doing nothing mate :-)

Well that's pleasing to know.

Regarding the food choices, the Nutrition Guide they've provided does give you a lot of different meal options, Egg Whites, Wholemeal breads and Pastas, reduced fat cheeses, chicken breasts, fish & steaks, so plenty of nice things, I guess it's the portion sizes which is what I'm really thinking about.

I'm so used to having 3 sizeable meals rather than 5 average sized meals.

Just finishing the 3rd week of this after I had to have a week off when I developed a touch of tendinitis in my Achilles.

I feel like a could run through a fucking brick wall! Got loads of energy and the 6 pack is on its way. I've knocked the beer on the head for now which has helped as well

Fanny Fart said:
Just finishing the 3rd week of this after I had to have a week off when I developed a touch of tendinitis in my Achilles.

I feel like a could run through a fucking brick wall! Got loads of energy and the 6 pack is on its way. I've knocked the beer on the head for now which has helped as well

What was your weight/body shape before you started to notice definition, if you don't mind me asking?

sjk2008 said:

Regarding the food choices, the Nutrition Guide they've provided does give you a lot of different meal options, Egg Whites, Wholemeal breads and Pastas, reduced fat cheeses, chicken breasts, fish & steaks, so plenty of nice things, I guess it's the portion sizes which is what I'm really thinking about.

To be perfectly honest mate you can still do that (although you're right, most people do under-estimate their portion sizes) just make them big portions of veg, something as simple as this will do for what this is trying to achieve :-

Breakfast, some poached eggs and tomatoes or Pilchards/Sardines with spinach and a pre/pro biotic yoghurt

Dinner (lunch) chicken salad/veg with evoo dressing and pine nuts/sesame seeds

Train and a scoop of whey half an hour after

Tea (an hour or so later) lean meat or fish (not battered obviously), carbs from wholewheat rice/pasta or potatoes/sweet potatoes and plenty of fibrous veg

Before bed, tub of quark or cottage cheese and celery with fresh pineapple.

Also something to take into account, whilst 5-6 meals is good for satiety, there can be a downside in that eating 5-6 times as opposed to 3-4 can also open you up to temptation to eat more, infact this is where most people get eating the 5-6 meals a day wrong and don't get the optimal results, anyway, that's just some ideas of where you need to be heading for decent fat loss mate, hope it helps.

Dirty Harry said:
sjk2008 said:

To be perfectly honest mate you can still do that (although you're right, most people do under-estimate their portion sizes) just make them big portions of veg, something as simple as this will do for what this is trying to achieve :-

Breakfast, some poached eggs and tomatoes or Pilchards/Sardines with spinach and a pre/pro biotic yoghurt

Dinner (lunch) chicken salad/veg with evoo dressing and pine nuts/sesame seeds

Train and a scoop of whey half an hour after

Tea (an hour or so later) lean meat or fish (not battered obviously), carbs from wholewheat rice/pasta or potatoes/sweet potatoes and plenty of fibrous veg

Before bed, tub of quark or cottage cheese and celery with fresh pineapple.

Also something to take into account, whilst 5-6 meals is good for satiety, there can be a downside in that eating 5-6 times as opposed to 3-4 can also open you up to temptation to eat more, infact this is where most people get eating the 5-6 meals a day wrong and don't get the optimal results, anyway, that's just some ideas of where you need to be heading for decent fat loss mate, hope it helps.

Yes, certainly appreciate the advice, that's for sure.

Re the Poached Eggs, would a slice of wholemeal bread be fine to have with that? The Insanity package tells me to avoid yolks (the best bit) though? I can't stand any of this cottage cheese and quark malarkey, either; what could I have in place of that.

As for my veggies, I can't stand Broccoli, but I like green beans and spinach a lot. Could I just double up on portions of those?

Oh, and regarding the Protein shakes (Whey), is there anything I can use in place of this, as I'm not willing to fork out £40 every month, just yet, and would prefer to use a 'cheaper', home-made (if possible) alternative?

sjk2008 said:

Re the Poached Eggs, would a slice of wholemeal bread be fine to have with that? The Insanity package tells me to avoid yolks (the best bit) though? I can't stand any of this cottage cheese and quark malarkey, either; what could I have in place of that.

Carbs and fats are both your main sources of energy (edit '4' cals per grm of carbs and 9 calories per grm of fat), so it makes sense to limit one and be moderate with the other in a fat loss diet (your body needs a certain amount for it's natural everyday function, this is a priority when it comes to nutrition), Insanity seems to go the low fat way, personally I'm not a huge fan of that, you'll get far more associated health benefits with keeping good fats high (like yolks, oily fish, nuts etc) and complex carbohydrates low than vice-versa (you'll get plenty of carbohydrates through your veg aswell and it all goes to the 'calories in' equation and help bodily functions described), you could try some wholemeal pitta toasted and see how you get on, but if you come to a stalling point it would be the first thing I'd look at leaving out, not saying anything is wrong with the Insanity approach, there isn't, but you do need to balance energy intake somewhere.

In place of cottage cheese/quark a glass of soya milk and a small piece of chicken/lean beef and fresh pineapple and veg would be ok.

sjk2008 said:
As for my veggies, I can't stand Broccoli, but I like green beans and spinach a lot. Could I just double up on portions of those?

YEP, go for it, cabbage, sprouts, kale etc, all good.

sjk2008 said:
Oh, and regarding the Protein shakes (Whey), is there anything I can use in place of this, as I'm not willing to fork out £40 every month, just yet, and would prefer to use a 'cheaper', home-made (if possible) alternative?

Whey gram for gram is probably still the cheapest protein source around, there's no REAL need to have it at all, you can just eat your tea around 30-60 minutes later, but you can always just have a glass of soya milk and egg whites with a dash of sugar free cordial if you really want to.

Just a quick tip, if you do get hungry, have some sugar free jelly made up, it's a great stomach filler with very few calories.

Dirty Harry said:
sjk2008 said:

Carbs and fats are both your main sources of energy (7 cals per grm of carbs and 9 calories per grm of fat), so it makes sense to limit one and be moderate with the other in a fat loss diet (your body needs a certain amount for it's natural everyday function, this is a priority when it comes to nutrition), Insanity seems to go the low fat way, personally I'm not a huge fan of that, you'll get far more associated health benefits with keeping good fats high (like yolks, oily fish, nuts etc) and complex carbohydrates low than vice-versa (you'll get plenty of carbohydrates through your veg aswell and it all goes to the 'calories in' equation and help bodily functions described), you could try some wholemeal pitta toasted and see how you get on, but if you come to a stalling point it would be the first thing I'd look at leaving out, not saying anything is wrong with the Insanity approach, there isn't, but you do need to balance energy intake somewhere.

In place of cottage cheese/quark a glass of soya milk and a small piece of chicken/lean beef and fresh pineapple and veg would be ok.

sjk2008 said:

YEP, go for it, cabbage, sprouts, kale etc, all good.

sjk2008 said:

Whey gram for gram is probably still the cheapest protein source around, there's no REAL need to have it at all, you can just eat your tea around 30-60 minutes later, but you can always just have a glass of soya milk and egg whites with a dash of sugar free cordial if you really want to.

Just a quick tip, if you do get hungry, have some sugar free jelly made up, it's a great stomach filler with very few calories.

Running the risk of sounding stupid, all mixed together in the same glass?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.