James McAtee | On loan at Sheffield United

Along with Palmer you can just see that he’s got it. Very elegant on the ball.

if we could get a first 11 with Palmer, foden, mcatee starting that would be amazing
Palmer, Foden, Mcatee and Lavia

Some strange posts here and it's hard to believe that some people have seen him play. He has vision, technique, balance, finishing ability and dribbling skills. Allied to that, he is scoring goals and lots of them. He clearly is on the cusp of becoming a very good professional and he already has suitors that we know of. In my view, he has earned his chance, as has Palmer, and I hope that he is given it as there will be a time when his patience, or probably his family/agent's patience will wear out and that is always a risk because we are pursuing trophies at the highest levels of the game.

I have always said that it means a little more to me to bring through top-quality local players than to guarantee trophies. I suspect it's because I was born in Moss Side in 1968 and we won nothing for most of that time. Regardless, there is something special about 'one of your own' becoming a star.
agree mate i was born in 1968 and lived in moss side so i remember good old days or bad days you no what i mean

Some strange posts here and it's hard to believe that some people have seen him play. He has vision, technique, balance, finishing ability and dribbling skills. Allied to that, he is scoring goals and lots of them. He clearly is on the cusp of becoming a very good professional and he already has suitors that we know of. In my view, he has earned his chance, as has Palmer, and I hope that he is given it as there will be a time when his patience, or probably his family/agent's patience will wear out and that is always a risk because we are pursuing trophies at the highest levels of the game.

I have always said that it means a little more to me to bring through top-quality local players than to guarantee trophies. I suspect it's because I was born in Moss Side in 1968 and we won nothing for most of that time. Regardless, there is something special about 'one of your own' becoming a star.

Some posters are completely incapable of thinking rationally about a player that leaves us.

Look no further than Eric Garcia for proof.

People genuinely hated him. He was 5th choice CB, offered the chance to be a starter at Barcelona when the club had spent £100m to buy Aké and Dias to go ahead of him along side £50m stones and £60m Laporte, all 25 years old or younger. I don't think there's ever been a more shut off pathway into the first team for a young player.

He'd never settled in England (still living in the academy after 2 years, flying home often), and he'd been cut off from his family by the pandemic. He told the club when he had 18 months left on a 3 year contract, so they had loads of time to sell him and not lose him on a free, the club then turned down several offers to keep him for his last season.

He could not have handled leaving more professionally. Never complained, never dropped his head, happily played out of position if Pep needed him to. He's literally a 5th choice player we'd never see outside cup games, most people agreed his lack of pace would stop him from ever being great in the Premier League and yet otherwise sensible posters worked themselves into frenzies about how much they hated the kid for going to Barcelona.

There's only one reason people think Sancho is crap, or why they're digging up Instagram posts from a 17 year old to try and prove to themselves he's a dickhead, it's because they're so blinded by club tribalism that anyone who dares leave is branded an enemy.

Last edited:
Some posters are completely incapable of thinking rationally about a player that leaves us.

Look no further than Eric Garcia for proof.

People genuinely hated him. He was 5th choice CB, offered the chance to be a starter at Barcelona when the club had spent £100m to buy Aké and Dias to go ahead of him along side £50m stones and £60m Laporte, all 25 years old or younger. I don't think there's ever been a more shut off pathway into the first team for a young player.

He'd never settled in England (still living in the academy after 2 years, flying home often), and he'd been cut off from his family by the pandemic. He told the club when he had 18 months left on a 3 year contract, so they had loads of time to sell him and not lose him on a free, the club then turned down several offers to keep him for his last season.

He could not have handled leaving more professionally. Never complained, never dropped his head, happily played out of position if Pep needed him to. He's literally a 5th choice player we'd never see outside cup games, most people agreed his lack of pace would stop him from ever being great in the Premier League and yet otherwise sensible posters worked themselves into frenzies about how much they hated the kid for going to Barcelona.
Although this is the McAtee thread, I’ll respond on the Garcia thing. My assumption is that people were annoyed because Pep kept using someone who didn’t and wasn’t going to be here rather than giving the opportunity to other youngsters. He did his job when called upon, although, he had bad moments doing that. Add that to everyone knowing he was leaving…and it led to a sour feeling for a whole lot of people.

Anyway, McAtee is here and there are signs that he’ll sign the contract. All I care about at the moment.

Although this is the McAtee thread, I’ll respond on the Garcia thing. My assumption is that people were annoyed because Pep kept using someone who didn’t and wasn’t going to be here rather than giving the opportunity to other youngsters. He did his job when called upon, although, he had bad moments doing that. Add that to everyone knowing he was leaving…and it led to a sour feeling for a whole lot of people.

Anyway, McAtee is here and there are signs that he’ll sign the contract. All I care about at the moment.

Then you get mad at Pep, not the 18 year old trying to break through into professional football. Ultimately Pep thought he was much better than any other kid, and that's all there is to it.

Like you said, lets hope McAtee signs the contract, because if he doesn't this thread will do a 180 and he'll be written off as shit and a bad influence within the month.

Then you get mad at Pep, not the 18 year old trying to break through into professional football. Ultimately Pep thought he was much better than any other kid, and that's all there is to it.

Like you said, lets hope McAtee signs the contract, because if he doesn't this thread will do a 180 and he'll be written off as shit and a bad influence within the month.
Well, I try and look at it objectively. I’m a big fan of McAtee’s. Have been for a while. It’s a short career and if he has other plans than to make it here, although disappointing, such is life. Will move and focus on those on those here. Nonetheless, I’ll be hoping to all the gods out there that he makes it here and wish him well while he’s here.

Football should be tribal. Fuck me, most of us spend the majority of our lives being serious in our day to day lives to put food on the table and pay bills. I like the escapism that comes with football and part of that is calling anybody who plays for utd a ****. Even if they aren't.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.