John Stones

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd sooner give Denayer the chance than spunk another £40m on another shite centre half that's far from the finished product but may eventually become something worth relying on.

Stones only real standout ability is playing it out the back (when he isn't giving it away in key areas), that's a strength to Denayer's game as well.

Denayer deserves his chance.
Spot on!

Stones has done nothing to suggest he's good enough to play for City. Whilst it's good to build for the future I'd much rather we paid huge sums on proven quality at centre back rather than keep discussing defenders that are performing below standard, making mistakes but "will improve with more experience". We've got Denayer on our books, he's been trusted enough to play for a Belgian side full of decent defenders, he might not have set the world alight on his latest loan (but has been injured several times) and he deserves his chance to establish himself at City.

We need to utilise what we have and test it before we dismiss it. Some players might impress for a season and drop off, others might impress on loan and then fail to establish themselves with us - you never know.

Before the Chelsea scenario everyone on here would have taken him. You rarely get centre halves of his age being stand outs in the premier league. Watch our game at Goodison at the start of the season. He was excellent and we were flying at the time.
First time I paid attention to him. As "A.", who sadly doesn't post as much anymore, went on and on about him last season. I figured, I should go pay attention to this guy. Was Impressive against us, and most matches I've watched of him.

I'd sooner give Denayer the chance than spunk another £40m on another shite centre half that's far from the finished product but may eventually become something worth relying on.

Stones only real standout ability is playing it out the back (when he isn't giving it away in key areas), that's a strength to Denayer's game as well.

Denayer deserves his chance.
But that wasn't the question though.

Stones is better than Denayer, but he's not £40-£50 million better. He's marginally better than Otamendi & Mangala, both of whom may well become better than Stones with Pep coaching them.

Basically, I think Stones is ok but not worth what we'd have to pay. I'd much rather we used the money towards Pogba.
Appreciate the money argument.

Stones is only rated higher than Denayer because he's English and plays in the Premier League.

Denayer was absolutely excellent last season for Celtic, he looked even better than van Dijk, who has gone on to do very well at Southampton. Denayer is also a regular in the Belgian squad, which is full of top centre backs like Kompany, Alderweireld and Vertonghen.

Denayer is a super young talent, one of the best U21 centre backs in Europe. He needs to be given an opportunity next season and I'm convinced he will. Pep will love him, he's got everything Pep wants from a centre back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.