Newcastle (A) | Wed 27th Sept | EFL Cup | Post Match Thread

Is participation compulsory? No point wasting time and money if were not taking it seriously.
Many teams didn't enter for the first few years of the competition and it only really took off when the final moved to Wembley (1967?) and when the winners were given a European place (1968 or 69?).
For me all teams involved in the European competitions should be left out of the league cup.

The main plus points were , no injuries , Grealish & Kovacic got some fitness and Bobb & Lewis continued there development also Gomez looked a different player further up the pitch, should we really be surprised how the media have taken this opportunity to take the piss though ? We obliterated English & European football last season and they have been praying for a morsel of redemption , quite sure we will be just as annoying to all and sundry by the end of the season , a couple of more trophies in the bag and the World Club Cup to add to the Champs league , Premier league , FA Cup & Supercup already in the trophy cabinet.
Losing at Newcastle in a third rate trophy is quite palatable and the headlines easily ignored , hope the Barcodes enjoy their day in the sun and the hero worship , they dont get many.

Newcastle want this cup. Look at the team they put out. They reached the final last year so they know they can go all the way and, like us when we were taken over, are desperate for that first piece of silverware in decades.

We didn't put out regular first-teamers, the desire wasn't really there, maybe they were concerned about a schedule clash what with the FIFA CWC coming up soon. All I know is that for long periods this City team was still having the better chances, controlled periods of the game, and it's not like we were slaughtered or "embarassed" against lower league opposition. We lost to probably one of the favourites in the competition.

It is what it is, we move on, we are still chasing 4 competitions still.
Newcastle need to win a trophy as soon as possible, just like we did when the Sheik first took over, the longer it takes , the harder it will become.

So this morning my gut feeling is the Carabao Cup has become a bit of a farce. Rags get yet another home draw it’s a competition for the desperate now isn’t it !?!?

glad we lost as I couldn't be arsed with a derby for the next round. It would have meant playing a slightly stronger team and at this stage of the season that would be a disaster

From a Newcastle POV it looked very much like two second strings in the first half and then we brought on two players who arguably the most important to the way we play and you didn't. We upped our intensity, our aggression and our ambition.

It felt huge because of the team we put out in the first half (Midfield was both young and inexperienced, defence had Lascelles and Paul Dummett in it.) and that team beat 'Man City'. I know I kind of ignored the fact that it was a Man City side without De Bruyne, Haaland, Rodri, et al.

It also meant we'd knocked out the very best side in the competition which we hoped would mean an easier route to the final. Of course then we get drawn away to Man Utd (who apparently have had 12 home consecutive home draws in the League Cup? Chances of that happening randomly are 0.02%). Of the 30 possible draws, this has to be the 3rd hardest. I guess we can look forward to Liverpool or Arsenal if we do manage to put away your neighbours.

Anyway, I hope everyone who made it to Newcastle had a good time regardless of the result.

Sad to see how many spoilt fans there are on here. The amount we have won in the past few years and after one loss people are saying some of our top level players are 'championship quality' and need to get out of the club. It's a slight overreaction.

I don't care if I'm the only one, but I'm disappointed we lost, and are out of the cup. I don't see it as a blessing in disguise, or good in the long run, I don't see it as small fry or a cup we are better off not competing for, or any of the other mighty shouts. It is another trophy at the end of the day, one a fair portion of this squad hasn't won yet, gets the hunger on if won at that stage of the season. And more importantly, it is a great chance to play young and squad players and give them experience. So no, I'm not ambivalent about it, never mind happy.

All that said, it is football, Newcastle probably deserved it more than we did in that second half, it is a loss I accept and move on. Hopefully they turn the disappointment into more focus and drive.

Not, you're not alone. I've always respected the League Cup, I've always thought it was a worthwhile trophy. Furthermore, if you look at who wins it, year in, year out, well, it's not the minnows. So that says something, doesn't it?
I'm disappointed, but we played at least one good half of football. And it would have intensely irritated me to go out at the quarter-final stage if we had to play the lads of the EDS.

I think the club might not be as disappointed as the press seem to think we are.

We have bigger fish to fry and we really didn’t need two derbies in a week or so.

I'm not happy we lost, but like many of us I actually expected it (see the pre-match vote).

Given our priorities, our small squad and our injuries its not the worst game to lose. And if you are going to go out of a cup the earlier the better.

Good luck to the Barcodes and hope they go on to win it.

On to the weekend, which is much more important

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.