Running

I used to run quite a bit. I was as fit as they come when I was in the forces. When I left I didn't really do much running, mostly football now keeps me fit. Similar story to a couple on here, but a lad I worked with was a very keen runner. Used to do fell running and all that. He went away to feurtaventura to do a marathon and dropped down dead in the first 4 miles. Scary stuff.

You may not been there at the time of the Hammer incident. It was me that got struck by it, almost killed me. I was 11 years old, broke my jaw, lost most of my teeth and needed major work round that area. If you was a member at the time you would of remembered it.

How old are you now Kippax, i'm 51

my solicitor was a runner. he was 42 and fit as fuck.

Went on holiday to Egypt and went for a run. Dropped dead.

I've taken up running around 2 and a half years ago.

Just about to go on a break to Egypt and trying to decide whether to pack my runners. I'm not fit as fuck so will probably take them anyway.

I've had an interesting 30 months running and love it.

I've taken up running around 2 and a half years ago.

Just about to go on a break to Egypt and trying to decide whether to pack my runners. I'm not fit as fuck so will probably take them anyway.

I've had an interesting 30 months running and love it.
To be fair he did have an undiagnosed heart problem

I'm also 23 and have a PB in 10k in a triathlon of 37 mins, you can go sub40 but it will take time, as the quicker you get the harder it is to become even quicker.

Whoever said you can't do it on 20 miles a week is talking rubbish.

running 3 times a week for an hour at the same pace will only get you so far. You'd be better off building to 4 or 5 runs with most being 30-45 mins and only doing one long run per week/fortnight. Then you can work on your top end speed, threshold speed and actually improve your bodies ability to maintain a quicker pace by doing intervals etc.

I 2nd this. Interval training in the week will help you build your pace and long runs at the weekend. I built up on 5/6k runs but with a couple of kms at breakneck pace.

I'm 45 and started running again last year after way too many years. I trained like mad to get sub 50 mins 10k but didn't listen to my body. Ran a 10k in St Helens and ended up breaking my hip (broke 50mins though) - stress fracture not impact on falling.

Just about getting back into it now but at a much more leisurely pace until I'm sure there won't be a repeat performance!

My advice - Targets are great but don't let them get in the way of enjoying running.

After a lifetime of slackness, late nights and laziness, I decided to start to get fit via running when I was 45, I am 50 now.
I started just running on my own for about 2 years building up to 5-6 miles three times a week. I then discovered Parkruns and 10ks.
Last month I ran my first half marathon in 1hr 55mins. My PB 5k in is 23 mins and 10k 48 mins. Would love to run quicker but I need to run more miles each week to do that.
Great thread.

I'm big into cycling. Tried running but it's pretty boring to me, at least with cycling you can go somewhere a decent distance away to make it more interesting.

I'm big into cycling. Tried running but it's pretty boring to me, at least with cycling you can go somewhere a decent distance away to make it more interesting.
Learn to run further

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.