Scottish independence

i kne albert davy said:
stony said:
JackFlash74 said:
Idle threats and propaganda from a hostile media and a worried political establishment. Businesses are only interested in doing business. Do you think these businesses are in Scotland at the moment for the benefit of Scotland? No, there here because they can make money and will continue to do so.

Fuck me some of you are in for a nasty fucking surprise if you get independence.
Too right he is how many jobs depend on the faslane submarine base, I can't see England basing it's Nuclear deterrent there, Companies basing themselves in Scotland because of grants available will move to a market of 60 million as opposed to 5 million. i have no problem with Scotland leaving the Union if that's what the people want. just need to brace ourselves for another influx of immigrants looking for work.
The SNP have already informed us that , in the eventuality that they get a vote in favour of independence, that they will be removing the submarines from Faslane , so you can imagine the loss of jobs in that area , and all the local revenue dependent on it.
Mr. Flash makes the point that businesses want to make money and want to continue so to do - well he's right , up to a point - and that point is where those businesses want to know what the currency of the country they are in is using , what is the tax system they are using , are they going to be in the EU ? If not what relationship are they going to have with Europe ? What trade tariffs and barriers are going to be put in their way?i Are the freedom of trade and investment laws going to be applied in newly independent Scotland?
It is going to be a lot easier just to move lock , stock and barrel to an established EU member where these questions have an answer. Somewhere maybe just south of Scotland perhaps.

out the rest of the Union (outside Jockland) have a vote on whether or not they want them to stay or go?

I wonder what the bookies odds are for the President of an independent Scotland, My thoughts are:

10:1. Mel Braveheart Gibson. May be an Aussie but is also a Scottish Freedom!!!! Hero. Also, Mel's racist outbursts in recent years would give him honorary Old Form status.

10:1. Rod - Maybe it's because I'm a Londoner - Stewart. Rod loved wearing his tartan and playing on his Celtic support. Made some great song in his younger days and his Rythm
Of My Heart featured in the opening of the Commonwealth Games.

8:1. 007 Sean Connery may believe getting the role would be a piece of pish. Sean's acted a lot of good roles in his time but would need to negotiate tax exemptions in advance or he would stay in his current tax free haven.

5:1. Job share for the Proclaimers. Much loved north of the border and most Scots could be walking 500 miles if the economy goes tits up.

5:1. Lulu as I will Shout for joy and do the
locomotion if the Scots vote for
Independence.

Evens: Alex Salmond. He looks to be lining the top gig for himself - as politicians tend to do - whilst claiming Scots could keep the Quuen as their figurehead!

Most of the people who work at Faslane are people who don't live there so the effect on the local economy is minimal. Bars and shops were complaining of the lack of trade there recently on the news. It's also hardly a holiday spot now considering what's housed there.

Listening to radio 4 this morning on the way to work the general consensus appears to be:

Alex Salmond 0 - 1 Alistair Darling

Even the trendy, leftie, 'right on' Guardian newspaper has Darling down for a clear win!

Could Scotland go it alone as an independent country and run its own economy?
Yep - of course it could.

Would it be better off than it is now economically?
No it wouldn't and it would not survive the next recession (the 7 year cycle is not going to change anytime soon)
and then what does it do?

Be careful what you vote for and wish for Scottish people. Be very careful indeed. However, I wish you luck.

TGR said:
Listening to radio 4 this morning on the way to work the general consensus appears to be:

Even the trendy, leftie, 'right on' Guardian newspaper has Darling down for a clear win!

No it wouldn't and it would not survive the next recession (the 7 year cycle is not going to change anytime soon)

Be careful what you vote for and wish for Scottish people. Be very careful indeed. However, I wish you luck.

Salmond has fucked himself on the currency issue. He kept banging on about English bullying for months rather than finding a solution and that's left him looking stupid.

without a dream said:
TGR said:

Salmond has fucked himself on the currency issue. He kept banging on about English bullying for months rather than finding a solution and that's left him looking stupid.
Well, I thought the Mars Bar fryer did very well indeed and all our erstwhile Jock mates should heed every word.
Vote yes, it's the way to go.

Salmond reveals economic plans

miracle_occurs.jpg

Rascal said:
Hope the jocks see sense and vote better together

Never really considered my much of a Unionist in any way but our ties are so close I believe the UK is worth preserving

I will caveat that with I hope is hugely increased regional governance. By that I mean more autonomy for Manchester to do its thing. What the fuck does some Eton educated buffoon who lives in rural Oxfordshire know about living in a northern city? And no I don't want a fucking Mayor figure like Boris I want proper regional and local representation with powers that the near 3 million people of Gt Manchester deserve.

All regions of the UK are different and the current one fits all approach from Westminster only ever appears to work for the City of London.

As a proud Manc I have more in common with scousers, geordies, Glaswegians than I do with London and its time that the UK recognised that whilst being British is fine, local answers to local issues is what we need.

HS2 is a case in point. It makes London closer but it does not help the North connect. I Can get to Leeds in a cattle wagon in an hour, whilst London 4 times further away can be reached every 15 mins in nice plush trains in about 2 hours.

So from you Jock lads please say no and join in trying to get local democracy for all

Good sentiments but tbh we're too far apart now....Scots get free university places, free eye checks, free prescriptions......the Scots Govt are clearly more concerned about the education ,health and welfare of its population rather than trying to make a profit.

good luck to them i say

TGR said:

`The Guardian` trendy!! What sort of clothes do you wear?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.