Stupid little things that bug you

Sane here, mate, but I fear you are fighting a losing battle - the false apostrophists will take no notice of your admirable homily and continue to mangle our language and its usages.
Even explaining about possesseion is lost on many - it is fraught with traps for the unwary. Someone on another thread recently talked about the "player's lounge" (sic) when alluding to the lounge used by all the players - I almost replied and asked him which individual player had a lounge of his own.
Still, perhaps not as bad as the shop I saw with a display of apples called "Golden Deliciou's". I felt like going in and buying one golden deliciou. But I feared the irony would be lost on whoever served me.
You sound like a man after my own heart Swifty. Christ knows, it's not difficult!

There's a shop in Bury purporting to sell M&S seconds without explicitly saying it. Its signage proclaims "You Know Who's". Annoys me every time I see it.
I'm not sure that is definitely incorrect. If they were to have a shop called "Marks & Spencer's", suggesting they are selling Marks and Spencer goods, then it would be correct as for trade names it is normal to use an apostrophe denoting ownership without specifying the items owned e.g. McDonald's.. So by replacing the name of the business with a cheeky "You Know Who" makes this company name possible albeit a shit name in the first place. I'd never heard of them but I see they're a chain of ten shops around the north and Scotland.

I'm not sure that is definitely incorrect. If they were to have a shop called "Marks & Spencer's", suggesting they are selling Marks and Spencer goods, then it would be correct as for trade names it is normal to use an apostrophe denoting ownership without specifying the items owned e.g. McDonald's.. So by replacing the name of the business with a cheeky "You Know Who" makes this company name possible albeit a shit name in the first place. I'd never heard of them but I see they're a chain of ten shops around the north and Scotland.

Ha ha. You've got my mind boggling now. I'm sure the possessive of who is whose whereas the possessive of Spencer is Spencer's as you say. Where are the grammar police when you need them ? Autocorrect to"there" instead of "their" and the buggers can't wait..

Ha ha. You've got my mind boggling now. I'm sure the possessive of who is whose whereas the possessive of Spencer is Spencer's as you say. Where are the grammar police when you need them ? Autocorrect to"there" instead of "their" and the buggers can't wait..
I suppose if I wanted to keep you anonymous but still reference your post above, if I said "You Know Whose post" it doesn't look right because I've lost the intention of hiding your name by using the common "You Know Who" moniker and also that the post is yours, but I could write "You Know Who whose post ...".

I find the English language fascinating at times.

Bluemoon threads about songs.....Songs with animals in them,
songs with the word blue in them,
That mention feet,
Boys names,
Girls names,
dogs names,
best outro to a song, best guitar, drummer, fuck me its boring.
Yeah I can sort of understand it in the close season but it's all a bit zzzzz & who can think of the most obscure thing to put in the thread title.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.