The Labour Government

I don't see anything remotely criminal about those tweets, so she hates Estonians, so what? I hate Parisians, arrest me.

A hell of a lot worse gets spouted about Scousers in here, I'm sure you're on the blower to Keir as I type.

You strike me as a bit of an arse, shall I expect a knock at the door?

Grow up.

Big difference here is one is a city the other is a nation.

Reactions: PPT
Imagine frothing about deleted tweets that were rude about one nationality from 15 years ago at a time when some agitators are still actively trying to instigate violence against minorities.

I do agree 15 year old tweets might not be as pressing but if (and it’s a big if) she has broken the law then time doesn’t matter.

Politicians words matter more than yours, mine or some random racist **** in smoggy land. They just do.

Imagine frothing about deleted tweets that were rude about one nationality from 15 years ago at a time when some agitators are still actively trying to instigate violence against minorities.

I’d also add anyone who wants to enter public life and doesn’t sort their social media posts out is a fucking idiot.

Are you happy with idiots running the country?

I do agree 15 year old tweets might not be as pressing but if (and it’s a big if) she has broken the law then time doesn’t matter.

Politicians words matter more than yours, mine or some random racist **** in smoggy land. They just do.
If she’s broken the law then she should be dealt with in due course. And you are correct that it’s not as pressing as dealing with the current situation. That doesn’t make it a two tier response.

On the face of it ... she has broken the Public Order Act of 1986.(Part 3)

In England, Wales, and Scotland, the Public Order Act 1986 prohibits, by its Part 3, expressions of racial hatred, which is defined as hatred against a group of persons by reason of the group's colour, race, nationality (including citizenship) or ethnic or national origins. Section 18 of the Act says:

A person who uses threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaviour, or displays any written material which is threatening, abusive or insulting, is guilty of an offence if—
(a) he intends thereby to stir up racial hatred, or(b) having regard to all the circumstances racial hatred is likely to be stirred up thereby.
Offences under Part 3 carry a maximum sentence of seven years imprisonment or a fine or both.[9]

Big difference here is one is a city the other is a nation.

That's no difference at all.

I've travelled to the USA for work and pleasure for many decades, on the whole I loved the people and places I've visited, I'm particularly fond of Philadelphia, though some folk consider it a shit hole.

My sister in law has been to the States once and not by design spent her time with the MAGA crowd, she'll never go back, she hates the place.

Our opinions are formed by experience, we know this, but for most of us they're not baked in, they're subject to change, most importantly of all they do not follow ethnic lines. My dislike for Parisians is based on my experiences of Paris, I've no love for London, though I lived there for many years, But my opinion of these people does not preclude the existence of decent Parisians, or Londoners, nor do i consider myself "better" than them based on my ethnicity or the colour of my skin.

I like the Germans, I'm not fond of the Dutch, I like Nigerians, though most folk I know do not, I'm particularly fond of Ghanaians but I'm not keen on South Africans, I find Australians too blunt for my taste and I hate doing business with the Greeks, but I love doing business with the Turks, I adore Turkey.

We all have opinions of people and places and some of them are ill informed and not very nice, but racism is a horse of a different colour, excuse the deliberate pun. Racism is the belief that different races possess distinct characteristics, abilities, or qualities, a belief that race is a fundamental determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race.

Those tweets might be in bad taste, but only those wanting to find racism will find any.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.