Where do you stand on this (fast food places)

Certainly any form of "free market Capitalism" hasn't existed for a very long time.

What we have is Corporatism.
The “natural order” of capitalism is the defeat or acquisition of competitors until regulation restricts the market to three main “competitors.”

For some reason, “nature” seems to prefer a triopoly over a duopoly.

The “natural order” of capitalism is the defeat or acquisition of competitors until regulation restricts the market to three main “competitors.”

For some reason, “nature” seems to prefer a triopoly over a duopoly.

Subways
Greggs
Any of the big burger joints

If you have those in any small time you're living the dream apparently :)

Don’t think your trying at all to be honest. Even if you did though it doesn’t matter it is what it is if you want good food it’s there. Just because you can’t always stand in the middle of the High street and expect it to find you.
My town has a Greggs with queues out onto the street, within 2 minutes I could show you a couple of small bakers a family run sandwich shop, and 3 really good small cafes with freshly cooked food.
As I say most places we visit we find that, just not in shopping malls.
The standard and variety of food in small restaurants has never been higher. Wherever you are, a 5-10 min google search will locate you multiple places of interest.

What has decreased is the standard of local takeaway restaurants. Whether that’s down to the huge cut Just Eat etc take, I’m not sure, but something has changed with them.

You know what you’re getting with chains. Overpriced bog standard food.

Always made me laugh when these miserable places are referred to as restaurants FFS!

The standard and variety of food in small restaurants has never been higher. Wherever you are, a 5-10 min google search will locate you multiple places of interest.

What has decreased is the standard of local takeaway restaurants. Whether that’s down to the huge cut Just Eat etc take, I’m not sure, but something has changed with them.

You know what you’re getting with chains. Overpriced bog standard food.
We’ve a few decent Chippers close by over here. The two local’s aren’t bad at all but we generally go a bit further. Five minutes in the car for Beshoff’s. Great fish and chips.

Locally we have an Italian takeaway Fabio’s that is owned by the Chipper that is absolutely brilliant. Authentic Italian dishes and their pizzas are fabulous. We have another pizza takeaway Vincenzo’s that rival Fabio’s authenticity.

Camille for Thai and Asian cuisine is also very good. We are doing very well for choice really.

I haven’t been to the like of MacD’s or BurgerKing in nearly 40 years.

I worked in MacD’s in Waterloo, Belgium for about six months, way back in 1986 and the best thing I can say about these places is they are clean. Every bit of equipment was taken apart and hosed down every night after closing and put back together ready for opening in the morning.
The food is generic and bland though.
Didn’t like it then and don’t like it now.

Is it just a destination for locals or also a tourist hotspot?

Because McDonald's do pretty well in places right nextdoor to China Town in London.
Maccy D's does well everywhere pal. In answer to your question, I'd say both. But a fast food chain wouldn't fit on for me, but would no doubt do well.

We’ve a few decent Chippers close by over here. The two local’s aren’t bad at all but we generally go a bit further. Five minutes in the car for Beshoff’s. Great fish and chips.

Locally we have an Italian takeaway Fabio’s that is owned by the Chipper that is absolutely brilliant. Authentic Italian dishes and their pizzas are fabulous. We have another pizza takeaway Vincenzo’s that rival Fabio’s authenticity.

Camille for Thai and Asian cuisine is also very good. We are doing very well for choice really.

I haven’t been to the like of MacD’s or BurgerKing in nearly 40 years.

I worked in MacD’s in Waterloo, Belgium for about six months, way back in 1986 and the best thing I can say about these places is they are clean. Every bit of equipment was taken apart and hosed down every night after closing and put back together ready for opening in the morning.
The food is generic and bland though.
Didn’t like it then and don’t like it now.
Chains are always my last resort. I can’t say I’ve not been for 40 years, but I can’t have been to any of them more than a handful of times in 20 years. That includes the Starbucks and Costas of this world too.

Locals in Sydney’s hip Newtown suburb are clucking with anger over the prospect of a KFC restaurant for the district’s famous King St strip, warning the beloved American fried chicken franchise could take away from the “character” of the area and degrade the earning power of rival retailers.

Should fast food places be able to open in town centers without hindrance, isn't it a free market economy however much the locals don't want it. Or are some town centers too upmarket for fast food places ?

For me live and let live - if the locals who are against it don't use it then it will fail and KFC will leave. In any event its very hard to get decent fried chicken anywhere here in the UK and thats probably the only reason KFC survives here - its shit offer is no better the independent chicken shop down the road. For me all these American takeaway shops are so 1980's anyway.

Bring back Wimpeys with table service and proper waitresses/waiters.
Bring back the Kardomah Cafe, which actually had a menu with stuff worth eating.

The only Wimpey Bar I know is in Swanage @350 miles and a ferry ride away - I can tell you its not what you think it was. For me if I was going to resurrect one from the past it would be Spud-U-Like though even it that case plenty of jacket spud places exist now anyway

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.