VAR - 2020/21

Status
Not open for further replies.
Misty eyed turkey's voted for Christmas unfortunately. Authorities and Sky will take it as carte blanche.
Expect more legitimized cheating of results and newer ways to achieve the desired outcomes.
Needed to be a complete overhaul of the structure, personnel and hierarchy throughout the corrupt web of football. The breakaway should have issued a pre-emptive, alturuistic mission statement, sadly Sly and the beeb etc stole the march and the narrative and we're stuck with it. Oh and oh so grateful.

One way of looking at it.
A friend of mine hates VAR.

He often complains about:
1) Stupid VAR decisions such as numerous by-the-rulebook handball decisions earlier this year - VAR makes the correct call based on the extant rules - but the rules are obviously so counter to desired outcome that the VAR decision is universally panned - this isn't a fault of VAR, but of the extant rules.

Indeed, in these cases, VAR did exactly what was intended - enforce the rules exactly as written.

The big problem was that the rules - as written - were to no one's liking.

2) VAR took far too long to come to a decision. This is a legitimate complaint against VAR - but it's now far better, far quicker, than it was 6 months ago.

Anyhow, my friend still hates VAR - even though problems 1 and 2 have been mostly corrected.

Daniel Sturridge possibly tells a mate he’s getting transferred and the bookies open a market. Mate has a bet and Sturridge gets a 4 month ban and fined £150K.
Tony Bloom, professional gambler and owner of a highly successful ‘football result prediction service‘, who makes most of his money on the Asian betting markets and also owns and is the chairman of BHA. No conflict of interest there then......
always said its not about dressing football up to make it look better than what it is by having different champions every other season, its about betting, im sure as you say above a lot of money is being made on the Asian betting markets but i think there is corruption closer to home by the circle of those involved by this i mean refs and PGMOL,this being the gateway to corruption, put those two together and you have a licence to print money, BHA were 6/1 at start of that match for someone to lump 10k on wouldnt raise an eybrow but returns 70k with your stake money back, im a firm believer that Mark Halsey was ready to spill the beans a few years back but was silenced with a gagging order from the PL,its a can of worms that will one day be opened by someone who has been screwed over

A friend of mine hates VAR.

He often complains about:
1) Stupid VAR decisions such as numerous by-the-rulebook handball decisions earlier this year - VAR makes the correct call based on the extant rules - but the rules are obviously so counter to desired outcome that the VAR decision is universally panned - this isn't a fault of VAR, but of the extant rules.

Indeed, in these cases, VAR did exactly what was intended - enforce the rules exactly as written.

The big problem was that the rules - as written - were to no one's liking.

2) VAR took far too long to come to a decision. This is a legitimate complaint against VAR - but it's now far better, far quicker, than it was 6 months ago.

Anyhow, my friend still hates VAR - even though problems 1 and 2 have been mostly corrected.
What were your thoughts on the 6 incidents it got wrong on Tuesday (our game: sending off, non red card for gundo foul, non-penalty), the Cavanni offside, the non-chelsea pen and then the soft one later awarded)? These are all decisions that VAR should get right every time, but it doesn't

VAR is a system that incorporates people and relies on them. They are all rubbish. Until that improves VAR isn't worth the side effects (forensic analysis of goals, inconsistent implication, not getting the basics right, and runining the enjoyment of goals) IMHO.

Last edited:
What were your thoughts on the 6 incidents it got wrong on Tuesday (our game: sending off, non red card for gundo foul, non-penalty), the Cavanni offside, the non-chelsea pen and then the soft one later awarded)? These are all decisions that VAR should get right every time, but it doesn't

VAR is a system that incorporates people and relies on them. They are all rubbish. Until that improves VAR isn't worth the side effects (forensic analysis of goals, inconsistent implication, not getting the basics right, and runining the enjoyment of goals) IMHO.
As I said - it's a work in progress and is getting better.

Your sentiment is much closer to that of my friend's - you hate VAR. Maybe as VAR improves you'll come to favor it - maybe not.

Townsend thought a yellow card was ‘probably right’. As an ex player I don’t think he’d have been saying that if it was his knee.

that was one of my points that tv that pundits are covering the back of the officials and not speaking out in fear of losing there job. ian cheeseman was in a good job at the bbc as match day commentator for manchester city
but spoke out after anthony taylor single handed give chelsea the win at the etihad ? even a stone wall red card for David Luiz after foul on aguero and he was the last man but somehow got changed to a foul for chelsea

antony taylor went to his pocket and almost give the red card but somebody in his ear told him to forget it ? this was before VAR so control was always there by the head officials

the tv commentators and pundits are well drilled in the job and told what to say or not say ? its clear everybody in tv hate manchester city or told to not give us credit and bring up the money the FFP bans. fines. the value on the bench and empty etihad its to well drilled you know its coming week in week out

VAR works perfect and its a tool to now control the game and change results in a flash
the premier league official's could not believe their luck when it got the green light for the premier league games

the premier league officials on VAR are now like playing FIFA on a PS5 ? they control the game and if they don't like something its changed the match officials are just for show

VAR will check if a goalkeeper is a millimeter off his line when saving a penalty, VAR will check a possible offside, again to the nearest millimeter. It therefore surprises me, when watching a GK run to the edge of his area to kick out of hand, just how often they are over the line when they launch the ball, sometimes by a good margin. I wonder if the refs' and linos' are advised to ignore what could be classed as a sending off offence.
Thought exactly the same the other night with one of Ederson's kicks. I guess its a rare use of common sense being used by all refs. If only the same common sense applied to offsides, handballs and soft as shit penalties.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.