11 | Jeremy Doku - 2023/24

I think Ake was in the vicinity but good point. We lack a small predatory striker, which is strange because Alvarez used to exhibit that quality when playing in Argentina. Now, of course, he’s charged with taking the set pieces.
That‘s why. He takes the best corner.

I would definitely like to see Doku with a proper midfield behind him, yeah. Good point. For what it's worth, I really like him. I do think he's guilty of running into blind alleys on occasion, and he does give up possession a lot more than Pep would probably want from a winger. But he's exciting and dangerous and, when he's really on it, fullbacks often can't live with him. Never gonna forget that first half against Bournemouth where everything he touched went in - been a long time since I've laughed like that at a City match. I do think Grealish will come in for him during the latter stages of the Champions League, and for tight league matches, but next season I think Grealish is gonna have to find a new home in the middle because Doku's gonna have all his usual attributes plus a year under Pep's tutelage. Looking forward to it.
I’m hoping it happens this season with Grealish moving into the middle but can’t see it. Will be nice to have the option of moving Foden in there though when Jack gets fully fit. I just think when you have someone as naturally gifted at dribbling as Doku you just have to encourage him to use it. Sure he can improve but even the greatest player ever Messi would have games where he’d lose it plenty as dribbling is the hardest thing to do in football particularly at the top level. At times Doku makes it look easy. Fantastic player to watch and he should’ve had assists from some of his brilliance today.

A very good player, but a few times today lost the ball that put us under pressure. To be fair not the only one. Interested to see how he progresses.

He doesn't have the right foot 'finesse' curler in his locker yet. He did well today, as most games, he's doing the right things but the relationship between him Haaland, Bernardo, Foden and Alvarez isnt top yet, which is why his final ball goes into dangerous areas into the box rather than into his teamates runs/feet.

Also he doesnt make runs in behind? Which is so strange for a winger, that's how sterling got most of his Goals/Assists for us, maybe it'll take a player like KDB to bring that out of him.
I said this before. His finesse curler is actually pretty good, but only from close range. Once he's around the edge of the box, his shots simply don't have enough pace on them. To really power up as much as possible in order to have decent power, he needs a longer time to set up and he doesn't have that time usually. But the good thing is he knows about this so hes really choosy about when to shoot and tends to pass around the box. I don't know if this can be improved upon

As for the runs behind, this was my biggest critique on him since a long time. He's a ball to feet player and his advantage is short bursts, so making off ball runs is not his game. Today in particular I didn't spot an opportunity where he could make a run, but he misses those opportunities too often. I think Pep doesn't care too much about that though but it could help .

But people who compare his dribbling today to Maximin and Traore parroting that "no end product" cliche have no clue, sorry. He was the player who created the most chances of anyone on the pitch, set up both Alvarez and Haaland twice. He was causing danger to the goal constantly. People really need to stop looking at the score and then dismiss dribbling as useless. He had great balance between penetration and control in possession today. Yes he can try to go route one like a headless chicken every time on the counterattack, but sometimes opposition just catches up so its better to keep the ball than force it. He didn't "slow down" any counter, they just caught him and he made the right decision to keep possession. Smh at the criticism really.

thought he was our best player today. was often left alone on the wing while having 2 or 3 pool players around him. the only thing I would critisize him for today was that foden made two crosses and doku wasn't in the right spot (should have been closer to the goal).

true baller that kid. insane talent.

Decision making was a bit poor today and he lost the ball in dangerous areas. I can forgive that given his relative inexperience. One thing he didn't do was hide, he kept on working and always caused problems. We've signed a really good young player, I just don't think he's quite ready for the real huge games yet, no knock on him, he's new to both the League and City and has done more than anyone could have expected so far.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.