11 | Jeremy Doku - 2023/24

thought he was our best player today. was often left alone on the wing while having 2 or 3 pool players around him. the only thing I would critisize him for today was that foden made two crosses and doku wasn't in the right spot (should have been closer to the goal).

true baller that kid. insane talent.

Agree with that aswell, the way Foden and him reacted suggested he wasn't where he was meant to be and maybe got caught ball watching or catching his breath. Needs to learn to be in the right position for those deep crosses when the balls on the other side of the pitch.

Deceptively slow for anything over 3 yards. Matip was running with the ball and Doku couldnt catch him.
He's plenty quick enough over longer distances, he's just like most forward/attacking players in that he's not nearly as fast running towards his own goal as he is going the other way

I said this before. His finesse curler is actually pretty good, but only from close range. Once he's around the edge of the box, his shots simply don't have enough pace on them. To really power up as much as possible in order to have decent power, he needs a longer time to set up and he doesn't have that time usually. But the good thing is he knows about this so hes really choosy about when to shoot and tends to pass around the box. I don't know if this can be improved upon

As for the runs behind, this was my biggest critique on him since a long time. He's a ball to feet player and his advantage is short bursts, so making off ball runs is not his game. Today in particular I didn't spot an opportunity where he could make a run, but he misses those opportunities too often. I think Pep doesn't care too much about that though but it could help .

But people who compare his dribbling today to Maximin and Traore parroting that "no end product" cliche have no clue, sorry. He was the player who created the most chances of anyone on the pitch, set up both Alvarez and Haaland twice. He was causing danger to the goal constantly. People really need to stop looking at the score and then dismiss dribbling as useless. He had great balance between penetration and control in possession today. Yes he can try to go route one like a headless chicken every time on the counterattack, but sometimes opposition just catches up so its better to keep the ball than force it. He didn't "slow down" any counter, they just caught him and he made the right decision to keep possession. Smh at the criticism really.
Agreed, I dont think Pep minds that he doesnt make runs in behind, thats not really our game anymore (Phil made a good one 2nd half)

I remember the rocket shot that hit the bar vs Italy at the Euros, so it seems Doku has power but only with the laces?
If he can add that to his game (Finesse Curl) he'll be unstoppable. The comparisons to Adama and Saint-Maxime are unfair, he's playing very well and is always one of the best players on the pitch.

Deceptively slow for anything over 3 yards. Matip was running with the ball and Doku couldnt catch him.
Been saying this all season. Doku isn’t particularly fast. The phenomenal asset he has is his acceleration over 5 yards. The top speed after those 5 yards is nothing special. But that’s fine, the acceleration alone is deadly. But going back towards our own goal, he can’t really keep pace with anyone tbh.

Good performance, but no end product. Needs to look up, compose himself, and play the killer ball into or across the box.

Must be a nightmare to play against. Once his final product improves - which it will, he’s young and in a new team - then he’ll be unstoppable.

Scary thought for other defences, really.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.