Maine Rd terrace characters

As a kid I always heard of les tate,Ted Davies and les cracknell, I vaguely remember after a derby on lloyd st outside the old souvenir shop going back to town, city and utd were at it,and a lot of these names were being offered out by utd s top names ,does anyone remember the names of utds top boys in the late 60s early 70s

As a kid I always heard of les tate,Ted Davies and les cracknell, I vaguely remember after a derby on lloyd st outside the old souvenir shop going back to town, city and utd were at it,and a lot of these names were being offered out by utd s top names ,does anyone remember the names of utds top boys in the late 60s early 70s
Off the top of my head the United names I remember from the early 70s -
Sid Shock
Freddie North
Pubby (cos he lived in a pub in Wythenshawe)

That would be Mark Bittner and "Tiny" Ted Davies. I've got a small booklet up in the loft (with all my old programmes from that time) that Mark made, titled "Songs of the Kippax". Most of those songs have appeared in previous threads on old songs.
Always remember that song on top of all England now stand the sky blues,great song remember first singing it late 67 at Upton Park 3-2 win.

Their are no "Characters at City "any more lol
Nowadays
Fans are either coke heads ,piss heads,dickheads ,Johny come latleys, glory hunters ,New comers ,scroates ext or kids that cant take their drink
Lets face it
Nothing has changed since the 60s watching City , besides the cost of a game & except us olduns attitudes have changed
While many of us whatching City in the 60s & 70s maybe the 80s wouldn't have battered an eyelid & proberbly would have got stuck in when shit was going of
It all " tut tut "now if someone swears or asks to move seat or gets up for a piss or wants to leave before full time
,Back in the Kippax days if your back leg wasnt covered in piss ,it could mean you didn't have to go home to get changed ( as if ) before you went out again
One thing hasn't changed is the Ticket office FFS
How can it be so bad for 40 odd years ? Attitudes have changed massively over the years & while back in the day things wernt as PC as now
Now we complain about everything cos we can.
Back then all we wanted was to get in the ground and watch City ,.Never moaned cos the hot dog seller didn't wash his hands after taking a piss, didn't moan when City scored & got pushed down the Kippax & couldn't find your mates for ages, .
We Never even moaned when we got beat ,just went to the boozer instead of the internet & bluemoon ha ha
I am so glad I was around at the time as it was one of the best education's about life you could get
Now a days the business of football has changed for the worst ,god knows how much it would cost to take a family of four to a game now ?
I only go to cup games as now I wouldn't pay more than £25 for a ticket
With all the hassle getting a ticket getting in the ground & getting a beer
At my age much more enjoyable watching with mates in a pub
How times have changed MCFC OK
Fuckin top post!

My hat is tipped in your general direction sir.

I've just read all 18 pages and I can't believe the number of people mentioned who I know or have had contact with..

Les Tate from Langley... my brother in law was a big mate of his... Tiny Ted Davies who used to manage Mercer Celtic... I played for Mercer Celtic and knew Ted well... Bulldog... growing up in Hulme I used to go drinking with Bulldog in The Shakespeare... Johny Muir... I think he smacked me one night in Cheetham Hill!... Jocky... regularly have a chat with him before the match... And there's probably a few more that I've forgot.

Ah, the memories.

Just spotted this , i know its a while back but you are getting Les Tate mixed up with Les Cracknell who was from Langley ....now he did go looking for trouble ,made the NOTW paper for a report about stabbing Chelsea Fans for a £1 a pop 71/72
I used to play against Mercer Celtic in the East Manchester Junior Sunday League from 1969 U12s to about U14s.
My lasting memory of Tiny was the time we went 1-0 up {no team had ever done that except Junior United) and Ted was going fuckin ape, he had what had to be a ringer playing up front never played against a 6 foot 13 year old CF with sideburns and a tash before- just before half time he broke through our defence and with no option other than to run away I dived at his feet saved a certain equaliser and completely wiped him out. We ended up losing 7-1 which our team always took as a achievement to stop leaking 10 - After the match Ted came in our dressing room and said he’s got me and our midfielder a bottle of cherryade and he’s going to arrange a trial for me at Platt Lane that was circ 1970 71. Never heard from Ted again and as for trials for City I had to wait to 1987 got bound over for a year fined £100 at Sheffield Magistrates after the 2-1 defeat at Wednesday that Easter lol

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.