#7 | Raheem Sterling - 2020/21 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if it's more the position. It looked like Raheem had just overrun the ball and wouldn't have time to play it, so it would be harsh on Scotland to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Those are the worst kind of pens for me - even if legit, but where the attacking player is going nowhere.
Could be, but you also see them given when the keeper makes contact with a forward near to the byline, when you know that the forward hasn’t got a cat in hell’s chance of keeping the ball in play.

It was a typical Sterling performance really, using that initial burst of pace to get clear, slowing down, allowing the opposition defenders to get back, then clumsily attempting to dribble through them all.

Could be, but you also see them given when the keeper makes contact with a forward near to the byline, when you know that the forward hasn’t got a cat in hell’s chance of keeping the ball in play.
They get given all the time- but I see them as part of the "modern penalty" phenomenon. In the past they probably wouldn't be often given because there was no danger of a goal, but these days there's less flexibility.

In some ways that's a good thing, as it's too hard to have both "common sense" and "consistency", but there are a lot of 5-10% goal scoring situations, than end up as penalties, which isn't great.

Was nowhere near as bad as quite a few others for England last night.
I did laugh though when one of the commentators said something like " his control let him down then, not something that usually happens with Sterling ".......really ???
Too many of them are behind the curve. Unappreciative when he was playing really well 2/3 seasons ago. Then fawning over him to display newly acquired anti-racism credentials. And now showing no knowledge of Sterling’s nosedive in form. They probably listen to each other rather than watch football.

When the contact involves players moving in opposite direction, ala Dumfries, it’s much easier to give, and Sterling, alas, now has a reputation of going to ground in the box too easily.
Yup. In slo-mo, and from a different angle, I thought it was a pen. In real time it looked like a dive. Karma when you go down with every contact.

Too many of them are behind the curve. Unappreciative when he was playing really well 2/3 seasons ago. Then fawning over him to display newly acquired anti-racism credentials. And now showing no knowledge of Sterling’s nosedive in form. They probably listen to each other rather than watch football.
Good post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.